Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New iMac GPU question - how do the choices size up?

Was curious if anyone had any insight on the AMD Radeon r90 M380, M390 and M395 choices that you can now select on the 27 inch model.

Thanks!

iMac with Retina 5K display

Posted on Oct 13, 2015 10:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 13, 2015 9:17 PM

Today's video cards are made to perform well in terms of 3d games and 3d modelling

A faster video card will not really help for Photoshop or video edit or word processing or general surfing or video watching

5 replies

Oct 13, 2015 9:19 PM in response to rkaufmann87

Thanks, sorry I should have been more clear what I am looking for.

I'm looking to use Logic Pro X quite a bit with multiple synths/tracks as well as video encoding using Adobe Premiere. Am wondering if it's worth springing for the faster processor (especially the i5 to i7 is a big jump in price) and also if I will see a noticeable difference between the M380/M390/M395.

I don't plan on doing much gaming.

Thank you!

Oct 14, 2015 2:56 AM in response to Twilexia

Video processing/encoding is CPU intensive. The faster the processor and

the more cores that can get thrown at it the better.

Since you don't plan to do much intense gaming or 3D modeling, pretty

much any GPU will be fine.

So, in my opinion, in your case I would spring for as much CPU as I could

afford (especially if you want to move to more video processing later). Also,

to help feed the hungry cores processing video, you may also want to consider

an SSD as well.

Oct 14, 2015 5:08 AM in response to Twilexia

Bare in mind that although fast CPU's are good for video editing - all of the industry standard editing softwares out there today use GPU acceleration. So GPU is just as and in some cases more important (depending on the application and the level of GPU acceleration it's optimizes for). Final Cut for instance is VERY GPU sensitive/optimized. VRAM is very important when doing video editing. If you have the money the i7 with the M390 would be a great choice if you do MOSTLY logic and Premier just sometimes. If Premier is a major source of work for you or something you use professionally as a part of your job then it would be in your best interest to get the best GPU possible - of course with an i7 as well.

New iMac GPU question - how do the choices size up?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.