Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems with the Power on button on my Mac Pro

b I have the new Mac Pro 6 Core Intel Xeon E5 for about 16 months and it suddenly started giving problems with the Power on button at the back. When i press it the light at the back comes on , stays on for about 8 seconds , and then turns off. The Mac never starts up. Sometimes I have to try starting it up for about 2 hrs. before it might sometimes start up. Sometimes for two days it does not start up and then suddenly it does. It's like playing the Lotto. It just starts when it feels like doing so. It's not a software problem. I tried pulling out the plug for 15 seconds, plugging it back in again and waiting 5 seconds before restarting but that does not work. Any suggestions ? Thank you

Mac Pro, El Capitan Beta 10.1.1.

Posted on Oct 13, 2015 11:13 AM

10 replies

Oct 14, 2015 6:08 AM in response to jujuwarrior

You clearly have a Hardware problem. The software installed on the drives is not involved until much later in the Startup process.

If you have access to an Apple Store, your appointment for an evaluation is free, in warranty or out. If you choose to have them make repairs, they are all done at flat rate, no surprises.

In regions other than the US, Apple Authorized Service Providers would be used, and they may have different terms.

Oct 13, 2015 12:28 PM in response to elistu

2009 (4.1) Mac Pros were not sold with a 6 core processor. 2010 (5.1) were. You could also update the firmware for 4.1 to that of a 5.1 and it wthe 4.1 will accept a 6 core processor. The About this Mac will then identify the 4.1 as a 5.1.

elistu wrote:

Sounds like my Mac Pro; 2009 ; 4.1. Genius Bar recommended a new mac. Good 3rd party repair found a bad Power Supply. It now works as new. As power faded so the start-up took longer and longer. Similar to weak flash light battery.

Oct 14, 2015 6:28 AM in response to jujuwarrior

Thanks guys for your response. I always suspected that it was a hardware problem(i've been using the Mac for about 25 years ). I phoned Apple yesterday and after a good helpful discussion they advised me to go to Florida ( I'm living in Grenada in the Caribbean ) to an Apple Store and try to get it fixed. They gave me a Case ID. It will cost me a lot of money to go to Florida but that's the only alternative since we have no Apple Store here. This morning , after I tried starting it about 6 to seven times, it finally started. I think there is a short in the Power button. By the way, my wife's Windows machine and her her iPad are working well so it is not a Power supply problem. Thanks again guys and have a good day.

Oct 15, 2015 9:41 AM in response to lllaass

Hi lllaass ,

Your mention of a power supply problem gave me an idea which i performed this morning and BINGO it worked. I'll explain what i did :

Here in Grenada we have 220 current but the Mac from the USA (although it can adapt to both 110 and 220 automatically ) came with the power cord attached permanently and with a 110 plug. I therefore had to plug it into a 220 to 110 transformer. The mistake I made however is that I first plugged it into a HP Monster 110 Surge Protector which I then plugged into the 220/110 transformer. It worked for over a year perfectly. What i did is to unplug the Mac from the Surge Protecter and plug it directly into the Transformer and BINGO it worked.

Thanks very much all of you for your advises and if someone has the same problem then you can solve the problem. Wish everyone all the best. Take care and remain healthy.

Problems with the Power on button on my Mac Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.