Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to remove certificate with invalid credentials

Hello everyone, i have been searching for days and though there is much regarding certificates nothing is specific to my problem.

I have a Windows 7 file share that serves my MacBook Pro running OSX Mountain Lion 10.8.5 via SMB and has been working very well for over a year. Recently due to some dirty malware finding its way onto my mac (yes they can get infected) i was forced to reformat.

After reinstalling, i must have entered some slightly altered details which has had a knock-on effect with me accessing my old Win7 file share because every time i try to connect via the "Connect to server" dialog box i am instantly presented with the generic and utterly unhelpful: "There was a problem with connecting to 192.168....." blah blah blah.

Today i discovered that i am able to connect to my share via Microsofts Remote Desktop Assistant, which permits me to add new credentials after warning me that "The server name on the certificate is incorrect. Would you like to connect anyway?" When i answer yes i can remote connect to the fileserver from my macbook without issue.

Its obvious there is an invalid certificate somewhere on the macbook causing the Connect to server dialog to keep failing. I have been through Keychain and removed all certificates and infact, any instances that relate to my file server in general, but the problem remains... i cannot connect to my share.

If you know where this phantom certificate for Windows Servers location is and you wish to share, i will be eternally grateful. Even better, if there is a way to update the certificate so it has the correct credentials or perhaps force the Connect to server dialog box to ask me for credentials which will inturn force those stored to be update with my new values, that would be ace.

Thanks in advanced for your help.

Mal

null-OTHER, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Oct 13, 2015 11:48 AM

4 replies

How to remove certificate with invalid credentials

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.