Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Motion/FCX/OSX Yosemite eliminate red focus area box from captured footage

Using a Ninja 2 editor connected to my Nikon 810 I forgot to disable the HDMI live view on screen display and all of my camera's functions were captured with the Ninja 2 at a wedding I shot. I have cropped the screen to remove the bottom line of camera functions but I cannot figure out how to get rid of the red square camera focus area lines which sit in the middle of my clips.

How can I get ride of this with either FCX or Motion?

Motion 5, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Oct 13, 2015 12:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 23, 2015 6:08 AM

Ouch, that's going to be a nightmare. SliceX by Coremelt has an object remover. Basically you draw a mask over what you want to remove, then adjust the offsets to pick another area in the image to replace it with. But being dead center of the image, wow, that's going to suck a bit.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 23, 2015 6:08 AM in response to tknees

Ouch, that's going to be a nightmare. SliceX by Coremelt has an object remover. Basically you draw a mask over what you want to remove, then adjust the offsets to pick another area in the image to replace it with. But being dead center of the image, wow, that's going to suck a bit.

Oct 23, 2015 6:10 AM in response to BenB

Thanks Ben.

I have been attacking it with the After affects clone stamp tool and painstakingly removing it frame by frame. Sometimes, when the background image does not change I can remove large segments of the red square but otherwise I am screwed to do it this way.

Thanks for the advice.

Richard

Oct 23, 2015 10:21 PM in response to tknees

no solution, just a direction to consider:

this is your material, with a rectangle, which, I'm asuming, has some sort of transparency... =wanted pic content to some degree 'just' red tuned; if it's solid forget this …)

User uploaded file

next: get a 'clean plate'of that red rectangle, by recording a few seconds before a solid color, or black

grab that image with a paint processor, Pixelmator, Photoshop et al, get rid of bg color/put it on a transparent bg and invert it (cmd-i)

User uploaded file

add to video; compo to 'Screen'

due to transparency you have to tweek the opacity...

User uploaded file

... next step… I don't know, sorry about that, so close .. -

color is gone, obviously the Luma needs some love ....

I'm no good enough in 'shopping', but remembering my 'other me on the dark side', keywords are 'erase/vanish watermark' etc etc ....

and: my deepest sympathy, that is the worst of all worse case scenarios! On a wedding!! omg, 😟

Oct 24, 2015 1:16 PM in response to tknees

I drew this diagram with a simple keyboard and so please assume that the left and right sides of the square are solid lines just like the top and bottom. Before I attempt this on my newly downloaded Slice X software with FCP I wanted to pass this question by people like yourself that has had more time with this Slice X program before I attempt to do so myself and perhaps save myself untold hours of trial and error with your smart answers.

The problem... _______________________

l l

l l

l l

l l

l l

l l

l______________________l

is a red square that has full lines on all sides.

l

l

l

l

l

l

l____________________

How do I make a mask that gets rid of this camera focus area that has been burned into the frame of the entire clip?

Using Slice X, can I build a 'L' matte to cover the lines by replacing the removed pixels with nearby pixels on the ever changing scene of people and objects underneath the original red box? Or can I make a circle, square or rectangle matte

but how do I make a square matte that only covers the thin red lines and not the material(Pixels) inside of the square? Will I have to build my matte in two solid thin pieces or can I develop an entire matte to

cover all four(south, north, east and west) side walls of the square?

Oct 24, 2015 6:21 PM in response to tknees

I can get you about this much:

User uploaded file

The process:

Cover the focus rectangle with a Shape rectangle. The closest match you can make—you should have good results provided the width is only around 4 pixels thick. If the focus rectangle moves in the video, you will need to track the shape, possibly frame by frame. Add an Image Mask to your original media, add the Shape Rectangle to it. Make sure every frame of the video has a black rectangle (masked region) cutting out the Red focus rectangle. Assemble the Shape Rectangle and the original media in a group.

Clone (K) your original media Group. (It is important that your masking shape is included *with* the cloned media especially if you need to use tracking or other animation). [You can create a clone by simply typing the K key for a selection.]

Select your original media Group and Clone (K) it again.

You can turn off the original media group (uncheck it from the left column.)

To the Clone Layer that is lowermost, add Filters > Stylize > MinMax. In the Filters tab, set the Radius to 1/2 the width of the Shape Rectangle outline (or as close as possible) and set the Mode to Maximum (you can adjust this "on-the-fly" as necessary; try to keep it at a minimum). The pixels along all edges will expand by Radius number of pixels into the void, evenly.

Add a Filters > Blur > Directional Blur and set the Amount to about 12 and the direction to minimize any "spikey" parts that might appear (in the example above, the direction was set to about 130° or NW.)

The Clone Layer that is topmost should be completely whole with the shape rectangle cutout revealing the lower clone layer with the filler pixels from minmax.

It will be possible to keyframe parameters from the filters to help with "scene" variations.

You can adjust the masking Shape rectangle outline width as necessary in animation if necessary (along with its position). All other cloned media will update accordingly. You will not have to start from scratch.

Best of luck.

Oct 24, 2015 11:31 PM in response to fox_m

Impressive result, Fox!

… I guess you forget to mention in your recipe, to set the mask options to 'substract'. otherwise I don't get a "black rectangle"?

I built me a new case, with a 4pix rectangle and followed your advice word by word; my results came out less impressive 😟

User uploaded file

full screen, moving image (not the square, that's fixed), you soon notice that 'watermark' .... for me all attemps lack sort-of luma control, in my example, which is intentionally choosen 'worse case', skin tone, noisy recording et al), the line is too bright ....

Any more witchcraft, Mr Mahony 😉 ?

(I'm sooo impressed, what sorts of effects & filters you always 'dig out' from darker rims of M5.... thanks for sharing!!!)

Oct 25, 2015 12:09 AM in response to Karsten Schlüter

Yeah - thanks... oops... I used Invert, but subtract is the same.

Never claimed perfection. The finishing touches would be to adjust the brightness of the resultant "repair". If you got that far then you could 1) reduce the opacity of the repair layer or 2) apply a Hue Saturation filter (to the clone layer with the MinMax) and adjust the Value and Saturation to bring it into a better blend (e.g.: set the Value to about 0.96, adjust Saturation down if the color is too "rich"). [Avoid going too dark!! That's actually worse. It's a delicate adjustment.]

Whatever you can squeeze out of this effect, it is never going to be a perfect repair. It will be a great deal better than a glaring red rectangle, though.

I would recommend combining the video with other elements to serve as a distraction 😉 ...a title... offset the video like a video wall effect... something, anything creative. Sleight of hand 😀 Watch this hand while I trick you with the other one.

Oct 25, 2015 12:48 AM in response to fox_m

fox_m wrote:

Never claimed perfection. …

your example comes very, very close to perfection, don't be modest ... 😉

Thanks for sharing more knobs-to-play-with, bookmarked your advice!

😀… Watch this hand while I trick you with the other one.

ahh, after all witchcraft & magic, I said so !!! 😝😁

Fingers crossed, the OP can save his project ....

… a bit of irony, using an ext recorder to squeeze out the last 0.01% of quality, then killing hundreds of pixels mid frame .... arrghgh.....

Motion/FCX/OSX Yosemite eliminate red focus area box from captured footage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.