Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cloned Windows partition not a bootable device

Hello!

I attempted to restore Mac & Windows partitions to my recently-installed SSD drive. After installing the new SSD and copying both operating systems to it (using Disk Utility), I am not able to boot into the Windows side successfully.

I will explain this issue in 3 parts:

1) Background Information

2) Process

3) Symptoms / issues

BACKGROUND INFORMATION:

Mackbook Pro (intel-based 2012 yr model), running Mac OS X Yosemite 10.10.3 on one partition... and Windows 7 on another partition

PROCESS:

I put the new SSD in an external USB enclosure and used Disk Utility to format the mac partition. I then booted into my Windows partition to format the Windows side. (I wanted the windows side to be NTFS, which Disk Utility can not format.)

Next, I used Disk utility to "restore" the existing Mac partition to the new partition I had just made on the SSD. Secondly, I used Disk Utility to "Restore" the existing Windows Partition to the newly made SSD NTFS partition.

Finally, I swapped the two drives... placing the new SSD in the macbook & the original disc in the USB enclosure.

SYMPTOMS / ISSUES

When I power up my laptop and hold the "option" key, I used to be able to "see" and select either the Mac or Windows partition. Currently, I can only see the Mac. However, once I am logged into the Mac side, I can see the Windows partition as a mounted disk. All of the normal Windows file structure seems to be there. Furthermore, I used "Startup Disk" to force a boot into the Windows partition. After re-starting, the computer screen simply displayed a message reading "NO BOOTABLE DEVICE - INSERT BOOT DISC AND PRESS ANY KEY".

Also, the original partitions in the external USB hard drive can not be "seen" when I turn on the Mac holding the option key.

Any ideas?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.3.x), 2.5 Ghz Intel Core i5

Posted on Oct 13, 2015 12:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 13, 2015 2:23 PM

Governor Bob wrote:

Secondly, I used Disk Utility to "Restore" the existing Windows Partition to the newly made SSD NTFS partition.

DU does not understand NTFS. The NTFS partition from the original disk should be restored using Windows Backup/Restore and System Image.

When I power up my laptop and hold the "option" key, I used to be able to "see" and select either the Mac or Windows partition. Currently, I can only see the Mac. However, once I am logged into the Mac side, I can see the Windows partition as a mounted disk. All of the normal Windows file structure seems to be there. Furthermore, I used "Startup Disk" to force a boot into the Windows partition. After re-starting, the computer screen simply displayed a message reading "NO BOOTABLE DEVICE - INSERT BOOT DISC AND PRESS ANY KEY".

What you are able to see are the GPT side of the partition. Your specific Mac requires a MBR also. You can try Windows Startup Repair and see if it will allow the repairs and fix the file system issues. You will need a MBR to begin with.

Are the old and new disks and partitions the same size?

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 13, 2015 2:23 PM in response to Governor Bob

Governor Bob wrote:

Secondly, I used Disk Utility to "Restore" the existing Windows Partition to the newly made SSD NTFS partition.

DU does not understand NTFS. The NTFS partition from the original disk should be restored using Windows Backup/Restore and System Image.

What you are able to see are the GPT side of the partition. Your specific Mac requires a MBR also. You can try Windows Startup Repair and see if it will allow the repairs and fix the file system issues. You will need a MBR to begin with.

Are the old and new disks and partitions the same size?

Cloned Windows partition not a bootable device

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.