Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trackpad makes ticking sound when scrolling or tapped

rMBP, late 2013 model.

Yes, I have tap-to-click enabled, so I'm not talking about the sound made from an actual press-click to the trackpad.

In the lower right corner of my trackpad, there's a faint ticking/clicking sound made when scrolling or tapping that area. It happens about 90% of the time; occasionally the sound doesn't happen and it feels like the rest of the trackpad.

I'm thinking it's an issue with the trackpad being loose in that spot; I'm no longer under warranty and the closest Apple store is a five hour drive, so a trip to a Genius Bar isn't really an option. I don't mind removing the bottom plate and (gently!) tightening a screw if that's the most likely scenario, as again, I'm no longer under warranty. I wanted to see if anyone has had the same issue and done this themselves, though. I've gone through quite a few topics posted with similar issues, but only a few with the actual same issue, and the standard answer is to take it to a Genius Bar. Which I would do. If one weren't five hours away. 😝

Thoughts? Help?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013)

Posted on Oct 13, 2015 12:56 PM

There are no replies.

Trackpad makes ticking sound when scrolling or tapped

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.