Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lost Bootcamp after El Cap upgrade, No CoreStorage logical volume groups found

Short version: Upgraded MacBook Pro to El Capitan and now I can't boot Windows.

Long version: I've tried a few things from other threads with the same issue, although I seem to have some extra complexity due to my early 2008 MBP. First, the upgrade also seems to have killed my recovery partition. When I use the option key during boot, I can see the recovery partition, although it never gets through more than 1% of the progress bar. So, I've pulled the HDD from the laptop and have mounted it via USB from my Early 2011 MBP running

First step, take a summary look at the disk with "diskutil list", "diskutil cs list" and "sudo gpt -vv show /dev/disk2":

User uploaded file

Then run testdisk on the dev/rdisk2:

User uploaded file

I found the lost partition, here:

User uploaded file

Now I need some help with the next steps. The bootcamp partition should be ~60GB. I've got GDISK installed and ready to go. Pretty sure I'm going to need to use GDISK to fix GPT5 with these values, but could use some confirmation.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Posted on Oct 13, 2015 12:58 PM

6 replies

Oct 13, 2015 1:15 PM in response to Loner T

Yes, this is a real mess. I upgraded to ElCap and then attempted to create a shared partition. That failed miserably. Tried to boot to recovery and that failed. It still booted to the MacOS without issue, although I am sceptical about the new version.

I'd like to just boot the Windows OS and make a backup. I plan to reinstall Yosemite and start a fresh windows bootcamp install. So will I have success with gdisk?

Thanks for the super quick response, I appreciate the help!

Lost Bootcamp after El Cap upgrade, No CoreStorage logical volume groups found

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.