Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad 3 crashes since iOS9

My iPad 3 is crashing and locking up since upgrading to iOS 9. Many apps are failing to open, crash or lockup after they update with ios9 capability.

It is very difficult to close and app by swiping it off the screen. This became apparent immediately after upgrade to iOS 9 and of course the loss of 7-days on my calendar. I have applied the fix but I am not 100% happy with the fix due to its font sizing everywhere else.

What is going on Apple? Please fix these bugs and it would be nice if you kept your loyal users informed of same and the progress toward solutions.

If something isn't fixed very soon I will have to revert to iOS 8 which worked just fine.

Drew

iPad (3rd gen) Wi-Fi, iOS 9

Posted on Oct 13, 2015 1:00 PM

13 replies

Oct 27, 2015 1:25 PM in response to nealeh01

If iOS 9.1 doesn't fix your issues,

Try resetting All Settings found in the Settings App under General and in the right column under Reset.

Try resetting histories and deleting/resetting caches in all of the web browsers you use.

If you use Safari, these functions maybe l in the Settings App under Safari.

Other web browsers have their settings inside of the running app, itself.

Try turning on Reduced Motion.

This is found in the Settings App in the General tab the left panel.

In the right panel look under Accessibility, the look for Reduce Motion and turn this feature "On".

You should see an appreciable performance increase on all iPad 2, 3 and 4 models.

In the Settings App under the General Tab, in the right column, look for Background App Refresh and turn this setting to "off".

Try a reset of your iPad by holdings down both the Home and sleep/wake buttons simultaneously until your iPad goes to black and restarts with Apple logo, then release the buttons.

Good Luck!

Nov 14, 2015 10:54 AM in response to nealeh01

I really do not know what is causing older iPads to have the issues users are reporting as older iPad users do not get a lot of the new and cool features that the latest iPad models have.

I truly believe the best way to upgrade/update iDevices is to do this via connected up to a computer sync'd and backed up to iTunes and perform the upgrade/update.

My feeling is trying to do a critical OS upgrade over WiFi is problematic. If your Wifi signal weak or other wireless transmission issues causing data drop outs, etc. I trust using Wifi for most other data streaming activities, but I have never relied on it for critical OS upgrades or updates.

Nov 29, 2015 2:23 PM in response to MichelPM

I have the same issue since 'upgrading' to iOS9. Response is sluggish, and some apps continually crash. Very disappointing. I did a fresh install but had no improvement. Basically iOS9 has ruined my iPad, and worse than that, I cannot downgrade back to iOS8 (Apple does not allow it). Class action law suit anyone? Sure looks like planned obsolescence to me......

Nov 29, 2015 3:58 PM in response to Michael8it

Try my restore methods, instead.

I have something new you should try as this has made my iPad 2 and 3 even faster.

Here is my own restore procedure that has already worked, sucessfully, for a couple of iPad 2 users, so far!

I have done this and my iPad 2 and 3 are working like new, " out of the box" units!

First, connect your iPad to USB and sync and backup your iPad to iTunes (make sure your iTunes is up to date).

Then disconnect/eject your iPad from the computer.

From just the iPad, in the Settings App under the General setting, look in the right column for Reset option, then erase and reset your iPad to completely erase your iPad and then, again, from the iPad, set it up as a new iPad setup to factory "out of the box" operation.

Then reconnect your iPad to the computer and make sure to cancel the syncing, by tapping the small X to the left in the top center iTunes display box.

iTunes should detect your iPad. If iTunes begins to try and sync, again, cancel the sync.

Select Restore from Backup instead and pick your last backup to restore back to your iPad.

Once the restore is complete, finish setting up the iPad and let it sync back to iTunes you can either cancel the sync, again or let it backup, again.

Then disconnect the iPad.

Do one hard reset of your iPad by holding down both the Home and sleep/wake buttons simultaneously until your iPad goes to black and restarts with Apple logo, then release the buttons.

Once your iPad is back to the Home screen,

In the Settings App under the General tab, to the right under Spotlight sesrch, try disabling the search under apps that really do not need a search, like some games, remotes, apps that really do not need to be searched, etc., to reduce the list for Spotlight to search.

In the right panel look under Accessibility, the look for Reduce Motion and turn this feature "On".

You should see an appreciable performance increase on all iPad 2, 3 and 4 models.

In the Settings App under the General Tab, in the right column, look for Background App Refresh and turn this setting to "off".

If you purchased any music from iTunes, you will need to redownload that content back to your iPad for playing directly from your iPad and not from Apple Music servers.

Also, if your iPad contained a lot of images in the Photos app, these will take time to regenerate the original AND thumbnail images themselves inside of the Photos app when you first launch it.

Good Luck!

Nov 29, 2015 8:24 PM in response to Michael8it

Try my restore procedures, instead.

I just upgraded another family members 16 GB iPad 2 and it is running very well on iOS 9.1. It was upgraded from iOS 7.1.2, too!

This is my fifth older iPad that I have had to help someone upgrade and this time went just as well as all of the other older iPads I have upgraded.

I have something new you should try as this has made my iPad 2 and 3 even faster.

Here is my own restore procedure that has already worked, sucessfully, for a couple of iPad 2 users, so far!

I have done this and my iPad 2 and 3 are working like new, " out of the box" units!

First, connect your iPad to USB and sync and backup your iPad to iTunes (make sure your iTunes is up to date).

Then disconnect/eject your iPad from the computer.

From just the iPad, in the Settings App under the General setting, look in the right column for Reset option, then erase and reset your iPad to completely erase your iPad and then, again, from the iPad, set it up as a new iPad setup to factory "out of the box" operation.

Then reconnect your iPad to the computer and make sure to cancel the syncing, by tapping the small X to the left in the top center iTunes display box.

iTunes should detect your iPad. If iTunes begins to try and sync, again, cancel the sync.

Select Restore from Backup instead and pick your last backup to restore back to your iPad.

Once the restore is complete, finish setting up the iPad and let it sync back to iTunes you can either cancel the sync, again or let it backup, again.

Then disconnect the iPad.

Do one hard reset of your iPad by holding down both the Home and sleep/wake buttons simultaneously until your iPad goes to black and restarts with Apple logo, then release the buttons.

Once your iPad is back to the Home screen,

In the Settings App under the General tab, to the right under Spotlight sesrch, try disabling the search under apps that really do not need a search, like some games, remotes, apps that really do not need to be searched, etc., to reduce the list for Spotlight to search.

If you purchased any music from iTunes, you will need to redownload that content back to your iPad for playing directly from your iPad and not from Apple Music servers.

Also, if your iPad contained a lot of images in the Photos app, these will take time to regenerate the original AND thumbnail images themselves inside of the Photos app when you first launch it.

Good Luck!

Nov 30, 2015 12:53 PM in response to MichelPM

This seemed to work. I did the reset as you suggested from the iPad, and then did a fresh install without restoring anything. I started installing apps manually (I don't have any pics or music on this device), and so far it works fine. The real test will be my audio app (PreSonus SL Remote) that runs our sound system at church. If that works then I am good to go. Of course, thinking all was lost, I ordered and iPad Air2 yesterday..... If my old one is up and running it will make a nice Christmas Gift!

The key seems to be doing a reset from the iPad before installing the iOS. I had tried doing it through iTunes (twice) without resetting the device and it did not work. Your method seemed to work, and the apps I have loaded so far are all running without issues.

Thanks!

iPad 3 crashes since iOS9

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.