Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac late-2015; target display mode

Does anyone know if the newly released, late-2015 27" iMac still supports target display mode?

Posted on Oct 13, 2015 1:20 PM

4 replies

Oct 13, 2015 1:52 PM in response to mountainstorm

This is my concern as well and below is what I think so far.

Because thunderbolt 3 only support the retina display to be connected. I don't think you can use this new iMac 27" as a secondary monitor. New iMac only has two Thunderbolt2(not 3 although it has Skylake chip), so I guess you can connect two other monitors to this iMac, but this new iMac isn't gonna be your Macbook pro retina's secondary monitor.

Oct 13, 2015 2:00 PM in response to fosnegira

You do not know if the new Thunderbolt 3 isn't also able to support video in from other computers wishing to use the iMac screen. Tech specs online state:

Two Thunderbolt 2 ports

• Mini DisplayPort output
  • Support for HDMI, DVI, VGA, and dual-link DVI (adapters sold separately)

No mention of Thunderbolt 3. I does have USB 3 support.

Oct 14, 2015 2:08 PM in response to mountainstorm

No apparently it does not, as Thunderbolt 2 is not fast enough to push that many pixels to the screen. Also I expect the graphics cards in most MacBook Pros and MacBook Airs would not have the chops needed to drive such a screen yet.

I'll be keeping my 2011 iMac for another couple of years yet I expect, solely because of the target-screen mode ability.

iMac late-2015; target display mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.