Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto/ iPhone Sync Issue

I updated my OS to El Capitan. I used to drop all of the pictures and videos from my iPhone 5 to my macbook using iPhoto. iPhoto, however, give me an "unavailable" message when I click on the update. I have seen other threads that say to just delete iPhoto, but then how am I supposed to unload the photos off of my iPhone?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Oct 13, 2015 1:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 13, 2015 4:02 PM

Update iPhoto

Go to the App Store and check out the Purchases List. If iPhoto is there then it will be v9.6.1

If it is there, then drag your existing iPhoto app (not the library, just the app) to the trash

Install the App from the App Store.

Sometimes iPhoto is not visible on the Purchases List. it may be hidden. See this article for details on how to unhide it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4928

One question often asked: Will I lose my Photos if I reinstall?

iPhoto the application and the iPhoto Library are two different parts of the iPhoto programme. So, reinstalling the app should not affect the Library. BUT you should always have a back up before doing this kind of work. Always.

Or

Use Image Capture (in the Applications Folder)

or

Use Photos

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 13, 2015 4:02 PM in response to Community User

Update iPhoto

Go to the App Store and check out the Purchases List. If iPhoto is there then it will be v9.6.1

If it is there, then drag your existing iPhoto app (not the library, just the app) to the trash

Install the App from the App Store.

Sometimes iPhoto is not visible on the Purchases List. it may be hidden. See this article for details on how to unhide it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4928

One question often asked: Will I lose my Photos if I reinstall?

iPhoto the application and the iPhoto Library are two different parts of the iPhoto programme. So, reinstalling the app should not affect the Library. BUT you should always have a back up before doing this kind of work. Always.

Or

Use Image Capture (in the Applications Folder)

or

Use Photos

Oct 20, 2015 1:20 PM in response to Yer_Man

Thanks for your reply! I found iPhoto in the list of purchased, but when I dragged the icon to the trash nothing happened. I am going to try taking photos off using the new "Photos" app. Hopefully that works!

iPhoto/ iPhone Sync Issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.