Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I want to convert polyphonic audio to midi is it possible with Logic Pro?

I'm not a pro. I desperately looking for more than two months a software that can convert polyphonic audio to midi.

I want a midi track for each instrument and be able to generate music sheet for each.

Is this possible in Logic Pro or another software without it being a big job?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Oct 13, 2015 1:07 PM

3 replies

Apr 13, 2017 7:40 PM in response to chugbry

You would think that someone had figured this out by now. Surprisingly this is a somewhat difficult task in signal processing. I haven't used melodyne and perhaps that would be, at the very least, helpful in accomplishing the task. Separating audio sources is not easy, however, analyzing the frequency spectrum and picking out midi notes is a bit easier than separating the audio itself. Perhaps you've heard of a spectrogram and know that it is a frame by frame matrix which shows the power of a signal at every frequency or frequency bin over time. Once you have the spectrogram you can actually come up with a conversion matrix and simply multiply the two together to get the midi notes or notes of the scale that are present. This is called a chromagram and is relatively undocumented. Not really an easy task but thought I'd let you know that it exists.

Oct 13, 2015 2:21 PM in response to Tremblaymt

There is no real way to convert polyphony to midi accurately.

There's overlapping tones/frequencies in every note so when you have

a polyphonic recording there are so many variations it's very difficult to

work with.

That being said Melodyne is about the best I think you're gonna get

at this point. Even then I've not come up with a clean score that's

highly workable. But you can still do amazing things with Melodyne!!!!

A mono signal is easier to work with.

I want to convert polyphonic audio to midi is it possible with Logic Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.