Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV to iPad through school projector

Hi there, (school teacher in NZ here)

I am trying to run iPad minis (IOS 9.0.2) through my brand new apple TV (restored and updated when I first installed it a few days ago). I can get video but no sound. There is no speaker system in my projector and so I have connected speakers through the ipad headphone jack, this isn't ideal and defeats the purpose of having a device remotely connected for me as the teacher to roam. It isn't working because sound obviously doesn't mirror like video does. We have no ICT support here st school that I can readily access so I have to find my own help.

What I really need to know is, is there a way I can play my ipads through the apple TV without using the optical audio port? Or what connectors and adapters do I need to make this work?

Thanks so much

iPad Mini, iOS 9.0.2, Apple TV

Posted on Oct 13, 2015 1:55 PM

1 reply

Oct 13, 2015 4:00 PM in response to MissE35

I assume your projector is HDMI equipped - does it have an audio out socket, some do, and you could potentially run a cable to some speakers.

Equally you could get an optical to analogue audio converter or some speakers with an optical input.

If projector is VGA, then this Kanex device splits HDMI video to VGA and analogue audio:

http://www.kanex.com/mydevice/display/appletv

Apple TV to iPad through school projector

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.