Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What version of Final Cut Pro X runs best on OS X 10.8.5?

Posted on Oct 13, 2015 1:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 13, 2015 2:40 PM

I believe the highest version you can go in Mountain Lion is FCPX 10.0.9. Of the 10.0.x versions, 10.0.9 would be the best version. I'm pretty sure you would need to upgrade to OSX 10.9 (Mavericks) to run FCPX 10.1 and you really need to check your hardware compatibility for FCPX before installing any version. (Graphics card compatibility for Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5, and Compressor 4 - Apple Support)

HTH

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 13, 2015 2:40 PM in response to jm3songs

I believe the highest version you can go in Mountain Lion is FCPX 10.0.9. Of the 10.0.x versions, 10.0.9 would be the best version. I'm pretty sure you would need to upgrade to OSX 10.9 (Mavericks) to run FCPX 10.1 and you really need to check your hardware compatibility for FCPX before installing any version. (Graphics card compatibility for Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5, and Compressor 4 - Apple Support)

HTH

Oct 14, 2015 6:15 AM in response to jm3songs

My question is whether you already have a version of FCP X on your system, If you do, you could update to 10.0.9/ Or you could update the OS and get the 10,2 version at no charge.

If you do not have a version of FCP X installed, you will not be able to update or purchase the app since the only version available as a new purchase is 10.2.

Russ

Oct 15, 2015 9:07 AM in response to jm3songs

jm3songs wrote:

So I currently have Final Cut Express, so not sure what my options are.

Final Cut Pro X is a completely different application. The only way to buy it is from the Mac App Store, and Apple only sells the current version, AFAIK.

That would be 10.2.2 and require at least Yosemite. If you can't upgrade from Mountain Lion you may have to contact Apple directly. Of course, there is the option to keep using FCE.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.