Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ALL of my own music was deleted from my hard drive after updating to Itunes 12

After Itunes automatically updated on my Imac , ALL of my personal music files on a separate hard driver were DELETED.Nowhere to be found .

First thing I did was look in the Mac and the Hard Drive where i keep my music files for Itunes for the original music albums and title folders .ZERO .

Then I looked for the folders for album titles -Nothing .They had all been deleted

After researching troubleshooting methods , none of the "original Library " replacement ideas worked -

Because ALL of my OWN files, files from cd's I own many irreplaceable had been deleted from my hard drive

This seems like a very questionable encroachment into my files .Any other folks have this happen?

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1), null

Posted on Oct 13, 2015 1:22 PM

1 reply

Oct 13, 2015 2:27 PM in response to sonicmikol

Of course you can replace them! Use whatever source you had originally. You did keep all the CDs, didn't you, because you knew they represented your ownership of the music... iTunes Store purchases can probably be re-downloaded. If all your files are indeed missing and you have no backups you have no other recourse.

Sure, this has happened before, but it is rare (you see more posts about it here because this is where to handful of people to whom it has happened come to post, and the millions of people to whom it has not happened don't bother to come here and say "Installed iTunes; no problems!"). It is, however, exactly why one is encouraged to make computer backup before doing any significant changes to a computer such as installing new software.

ALL of my own music was deleted from my hard drive after updating to Itunes 12

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.