Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Contact with mutliple numbers: How do I remove an old number but keep the history

Why on earth is this happening???!

Its seems like contacts does not exist as intities by themselves but are bound to different numbers.

I need to update a friends contact information on my iPhone. He has two numbers. 1 private and 2 work. Both are iMessage I think. We have alwaus used his work number for conversation.

Now I need to remove the work number. But what happends is that when I do that my friends contact disapears and instead of his name showing in the contact list, only the phone number is show. Our whole message history is gone.

This is just unacceptable!

When I put the old number back the history comes back with his name and everything. It seems to me like the whole contact with all out history was "key:ed" to that one number, which would be insane since numbers are constantly changing.

Another related question: how do set a one of my contacts number as the default number for sms/iMessage? I must be able to control that if one number is changed or stops working.

iPhone 5, iOS 8.4.1

Posted on Oct 13, 2015 2:37 PM

There are no replies.

Contact with mutliple numbers: How do I remove an old number but keep the history

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.