Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to speed up my mac for using Lightroom & Photoshop

Hi.

I don't know much about computer spec but I need help on how to speed up my 27" imac for using the latest versions of lightroom & photoshop.

I have done everything possible apart from upgrading hardware but these programs are still very slow.

So my question is can I upgraded hardware for better performance or is it looking like a new mac?

Thank you in advance.

My imac spec:

OSX Yosemite Version 10.10.5

iMac (27-inch, Mid 2011)

3.1 GHz Intel Core i5

4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

AMD Radeon HD 6970M 1024 MB

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Oct 13, 2015 1:42 PM

6 replies

Oct 13, 2015 1:49 PM in response to DUGGAN

You only have 4 GB RAM which is the minimum recommended for running the OS you are running. The apps you want to use need a lot of RAM (and so does the OS), so I'd suggest to install more RAM. Here are the specs:

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/specs/imac-core-i5-3.1-27-inch-alumin um-mid-2011-thunderbolt-specs.html

You can go to at least 16 GB (officially from Apple) or, as tested, to 32 GB:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/iMac/2011/DDR3_21.5_27

You could leave the 2 x 2 GB in the current slots and add 2 x 8 GB for a total of 20 GB, or as an absolute minimum, I'd get the 2 x 4 GB for a total of 12 GB. This vendor is one of the two most recommended RAM vendors and they have install instructions videos on their site. Here are Apple's:

iMac: How to remove or install memory - Apple Support

Oct 13, 2015 1:57 PM in response to DUGGAN

Adding memory will speed up processing done by Photoshop and Lightroom. It won't do much for the boot time or launch time of apps.

Replacing your boot drive with a SSD will greatly reduce your boot time and application launch times.

Keep a minimum of 30 GB free space for cache files for the apps and other temp system files.

User uploaded file

Oct 15, 2015 7:02 AM in response to DUGGAN

Just to update.

I got the 2x4 ram today & installed it but unfortunatly Lightroom was still very poor if not worse, so as I have quiet a lot of free HD space I decided not to go down the SSD route just yet so did some digging in Adobe support then reinstalled an older version of Lightroom & what do you know this has solved the problem & Lightroom is now performing as expected.

Moral of the story...don't be so eager to install updates as they can be a pain in the arse.

Thanks again for the help & advise guys.

Oct 15, 2015 7:42 AM in response to DUGGAN

Slowness in Macs is more often due to third-party software issues than a lack of RAM. Do any of the following apply?:

1) Are you running any anti-virus/internet security applications?

2) Are you running any "cleaning/tune-up/optimizations" applications?

3) Any peer-to-peer or torrent downloading software?

4) Any third-party disk backup software that came bundled with an external hard drive?

5) Any online backup scheme other than iCloud (Carbonite; GoogleDrive; MS One Drive)?

6) Did your financial institution ask you to install Trusteer EndPoint Protection (also known as Trusteer Rapport)?

All are known performance inhibitors.

How to speed up my mac for using Lightroom & Photoshop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.