Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

what to do when hacked

iMac 10.6.8

Hacker. Am I compromised? Yesterday when trying to find a professional on google, clicked on one site, a page came up, brightly colors praising ISIS, foul language.Tab on top of the page said Hacked By....... I quickly left the page, turned off internet, shut down computer. Then restarted. When desk top up, the Apple notice "checking for software updates" and the thermometer moving. Normally this never comes up unless I hit button to check for updates. If there are updates, Apple posts sign asking to install now or later. So I shut that down, turned off computer for several hours. Now computer seems to be working fine. I just want to be reassured it is not compromised. How to I do that?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Oct 13, 2015 2:11 PM

6 replies

Oct 13, 2015 6:23 PM in response to Connor R Gavitt

I didn't just visit an odd webpage. I clicked on a link to a homepage while doing a search and the 'hack' page came up and blotted out the page I wanted to see. I thought that the subsequent spontaneous downloading of the Apple checking-for-software-updates was an attempt to get me to click on a phony (corrupting) update. Glad you feel it is highly unlikely. Thanks very much.

OS X 10.6.8

Oct 13, 2015 6:27 PM in response to Marilyn181

Notice that "This solved my question" is checked. I did not check that and still have questions about a very disconcerting event, the first in close to 20 years of computing and searches. Should also note: I checked my history of internet activity after this happened. I wanted to see, if possible, which link preceded the hack page and there in plain view is the hack listed.

Oct 13, 2015 6:44 PM in response to Marilyn181

Marilyn181 wrote:

Notice that "This solved my question" is checked. I did not check that and still have questions about a very disconcerting event, the first in close to 20 years of computing and searches. Should also note: I checked my history of internet activity after this happened. I wanted to see, if possible, which link preceded the hack page and there in plain view is the hack listed.

As the Internet becomes more and more popular, more and more crooks will try to cash in on unsuspected users with scams and phishing.

Internet can be a dangerous place for many. Stay vigilant.

If your profile is correct, and your Mac (10.6.8) is able to, you should update your Mac OS X.10.11.

Of course you should make a backup first and check if any important apps you need can run on the latest OS X.

Compatible App List: http://roaringapps.com

what to do when hacked

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.