Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will any mini displayport-HDMI adapter connect my mid-2010 MBP to my Onkyo AV Receiver?

I have an A/V setup in which everything is connected through my Onkyo TX-SR606 AV Receiver (Roku, XBox, Bluray). I have Polk Audio 5.1 speakers, and a decent sized flatscreen TV.

I was wondering if I can connect my mid-2010 MacBook Pro to the Onkyo Receiver via a mini displayport-to-HDMI adapter so I can watch media from my MBP on my regular TV and hear the audio through my 5.1 speakers. I know there are adapters out there but considering my MBP and Receiver are somewhat old I want to know for sure if it is possible with any adaptor I can buy at a store or do I need to look for a specific brand/type?

If someone can please confirm or advise, it is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

[I searched this forum but could not find anything specific to my question]

[I am also trying to move this message to a different community: Notebooks > MacBook Pro > Displays, Ports & Interfaces but it says "I am not authorized to move this content to that place"]

[I am also trying to move this message to a different community: Notebooks > MacBook Pro > Displays, Ports & Interfaces but it says "I am not authorized to move this content to that place"]

MacBook Pro Mid-2010 17-inch-OTHER, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5), null

Posted on Oct 13, 2015 3:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 15, 2015 3:16 PM

It look like you model computer does suport audio and video though a Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter.

https://support.apple.com/HT202079

Make sure to get an adapter that supports audio, and avoid cheap brands (Rocketfish).

2 replies

Oct 15, 2015 3:16 PM in response to Malcolm J. Rayfield

Thank you Malcolm. I actually found that same page shortly after posting my question and it is indeed very helpful. Went to MicroCenter and picked up the only brand they had, QVC. I don't know if that's a cheapo brand or not but I just hope it can last as long as the MLB Postseason (or at least as long as my team can last!). I'm a little disappointed that the adapter cannot do Dolby Digital Surround Sound if I want to watch movies, but I'll live with it.

Thanks.

Will any mini displayport-HDMI adapter connect my mid-2010 MBP to my Onkyo AV Receiver?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.