Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it possible to automatically restart AirPort devices?

For the past few months, I've found myself rebooting two AirPort devices on my network almost daily. One is an Express and the other an older Time Capsule. The reason for this is because they randomly drop off my network even though their lights remain green. I'm wondering if there is a script of sorts that can restart these devices automatically. I've already done hard resets and factory resets on both devices. I have tried to downgrade the firmware as well. I'm pretty stumped, but am thinking if this is possible, it'd make my tech life just a bit easier!

Time Capsule 802.11n (3rd Gen), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Oct 13, 2015 4:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 14, 2015 5:59 AM

There is a Restart command under the Base Station menu in AirPort Utility, so while I have not tried this, it should not be difficult to come up with a simple script to restart things maybe early every morning at the same time or something similar.

User uploaded file

5 replies

Oct 14, 2015 5:59 AM in response to BMBell1919

A rather simple alternative since Apple thinks their products never fall over so never would need an auto restart..

Is to buy a power switch timer..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-24-Hours-7-Day-Plug-in-Programmable-Digital-Timer-Swi tch-Socket-US-EU-Plug-/171514346998?var=&hash=item27ef0d3df6

It is about $12 .. but you can buy them in any large electrical store.

Simple easy and part of the new Apple landscape.. we used to do this 20years ago with unreliable network gear we had at the time.

Mar 15, 2016 9:19 AM in response to BMBell1919

Hint: The simplest way to build an Automator script (that Bob has recommended) would be to use Automator's "record" feature, and then, go through the steps to run the AirPort Utility > Select the appropriate base station > Select Edit > Select Restart from the Base Station menu option. You can then modify the script to meet your timing needs, and then, save it as a application.

Is it possible to automatically restart AirPort devices?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.