Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have a Mac Pro with 500gb max memory. I have less than 3 gb left. How can I remove some of that memory, or add more memory?

I have a Mac Pro with 500gb max memory. I have less than 3 gb left. How can I remove some of that memory, or add more memory?

iPhone 5, iOS 6.1.3

Posted on Oct 13, 2015 3:25 PM

4 replies

Oct 13, 2015 3:34 PM in response to friedr1

You can buy and install another drive in one of the remaining 3 slots. Any SATA 3.5" drive will work.

Freeing Up Space on The Hard Drive

1. See Lion/Mountain Lion/Mavericks' Storage Display.

2. You can remove data from your Home folder except for the /Home/Library/ folder.

3. Visit The XLab FAQs and read the FAQ on freeing up space on your hard drive.

4. Also see Freeing space on your Mac OS X startup disk.

5. See Where did my Disk Space go?.

6. See The Storage Display.

You must Empty the Trash in order to recover the space they occupied on the hard drive.

You should consider replacing the drive with a larger one. Check out OWC for drives, tutorials, and toolkits.

Try using OmniDiskSweeper 1.8 or GrandPerspective to search your drive for large files and where they are located.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.