Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Home button keeps inadvertently activating Siri when trying to unlock my phone.

I have an iphone 6 and pretty much right after I upgraded to ios 9 (I'm now on 9.0.2), I noticed two things: 1) the lock screen was much slower to "awaken" from just being dark/black when I either pressed the home button or the side power button and 2) pressing the home button kept bringing up Siri even when I didn't want her to and was just trying to unlock my phone using the touch ID. This is pretty frustrating, any way to fix? Ideally there'd be something that would require you to hold the home button longer when you want to call up Siri rather than when you're just trying to awaken the phone with a single tap. But I can't find anything like that in the settings. Has anyone else experienced an issue like this? I would like to be able to keep Siri activated for the lock screen since it's ind of when you want to use it in terms of music controls and the "hey siri" functionality, but probably won't be able to if she keeps popping up unwanted. Note this also happens sometimes with Apple Wallet on the lock screen as well. Would appreciate any help. I've tried restarting, restoring, playing around with all the settings, but still can't really find anything outside of disactivating Siri from the lock screen altogether.

iPhone 6, iOS 9.0.2

Posted on Oct 13, 2015 3:38 PM

46 replies

Oct 14, 2015 1:03 PM in response to wdr42

I have pretty much the exact same issue. It doesn't happen all the time, but maybe about half the time when using the home button to wake my phone (iPhone 5c), Siri starts up. This only started happening when I updated from iOS 8 to 9.0.2.

I press the home button again and it goes to my home screen. Hopefully this is a software bug that will be fixed soon and not a hardware issue!

Oct 27, 2015 8:12 AM in response to gdgmacguy

Maybe the problem is limited to a small amount of devices... but also maybe people are using their phones differently or not noticing the bug. For example, I do not use my fingerprint to unlock to phone and I do not have a passcode to unlock until 4 hours. So I am just clicking the home button and sliding to unlock. Maybe the problem only happens with this combination which is rare. I don't think it's a hardware problem (button getting stuck) because it only happens when unlocking... never while clicking the home button while using the phone.

Dec 27, 2015 7:11 PM in response to gdgmacguy

gdgmacguy wrote:

It's not a bug, or the other 250,000,000 million users would be having issues. The issue is with YOUR device. Perform the recommended troubleshooting steps, and if they don't work, bring your phone to Apple for evaluation.

Or maybe they just haven't gotten around to it yet. It started for me with the iOS 9 upgrade as well. I usually wait a bit to see if it gets patched. It hasn't. The fact that I'm not the only one with the issue seems to render your post moot. I'm sure there are a lot more people out there who decided to just live with the issue, or are hoping it gets patched. Not all 250m users use these forums.

Feb 1, 2016 1:00 PM in response to gdgmacguy

You can't say, "it's not a bug." Not all software bugs affect all users or devices. It could be due to a certain combination of settings. It could be hardware. But, you cannot make an immediate determination just because you are not experiencing the issue.

I'm having this issue as well and it started after I upgraded to 9.2.1. 😟

Feb 21, 2016 3:19 PM in response to John Chu

Update on my particular issue:

It seems I may have a hardware issue and not a software issue. During the last few weeks, Siri would engage when my iPhone 6 is in my front pocket when I sit down or squat down. It drove me nuts.

I finally had a chance to do a fresh restore today and found the issue persists even afterwards.

I wiped down the home button and then realized that not only does the phone wake when the home button is pressed, it also wakes when I put pressue on the glass area to the left and right of the home button.

I guess I have to make an appointment at the Genius Bar –but it is now 16 months old. 😟

Home button keeps inadvertently activating Siri when trying to unlock my phone.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.