Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I reply to mail on the same account?

I use multiple email accounts. When I receive an email on an account that is not the default account, I want to respond automatically from that same account.

Right now, I have to manually change it. How can I set it to reply on the receiving account automatically?

iPhone 6s, iOS 9.0.2

Posted on Oct 13, 2015 3:20 PM

5 replies

Oct 13, 2015 4:44 PM in response to NewHorizon1

Hello NewHorizon1,

If i'm right you just need to Go on :

Settings -> (go downwards and found ) Mail, contacts, calendar-> downwards you will found mails ->Default accounts-> go in -> now you can choose your mail account by default.

Update : (But reading your post again i didn't found yet the option to reply from the receiver mailbox automatically)

Regards,

R.

Oct 13, 2015 6:49 PM in response to Red_wane

Right. That sets the default account, which isn't what I need to do. I need to set the mail app to reply to an email I received using the account it was received on, not the default account. For example, let's say my Gmail account is the default. But I also receive mail in a Yahoo account and a business account for work. When I reply to mail on the Yahoo or business account, I want it to reply using THAT account. Right now, regardless of the receiving account, the reply automatically switches to the default account, unless I manually tell it otherwise each time.

Just saw your update Red_wane. Thanks for continued digging. 🙂

Feb 19, 2016 11:11 AM in response to NewHorizon1

This problem has been driving me nuts ever since I updated from 10.8 to 10.11. The older version of Mail was pretty good about replying to the original account, but apparently somewhere along the way it was modified and forgot all about doing that if you use Rules to move the messages out of the account folder.

I believe the culprit is the Preference setting in the Composing tab, "Send new messages from" being set to "Account of selected mailbox"... which means replies from any message you moved out of it's mailbox using Rules will default to going to the first IMAP account in your list. (In my case, a rarely used account I use to manage my Domain Registrations -- making things even more frustrating to me...)

You can make it a bit less onerous by changing that setting to default to your most used account, but that's a bandaid on a gaping wound. What Apple really needs to do is add a setting for "Send replies from" and have it default to "Account the original message was sent to", restoring the old behavior. I've sent them Feedback to that effect, but I recommend anyone else having this issue give the same feedback, so they might eventually listen.

How can I reply to mail on the same account?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.