Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Compressor 4.2.1 not processing FCPx 10.2.2 projects

This just happened and there was no changes in OS or software. I sent two different projects to compressor using FCPs File Send to Compressor, I applied rendering settings I've used in the past, not custom setting either. Once Starting batch the processing progress bar does not increase and after about 5 minutes I get the active session stops and in the Complete tab I see the failed notification and the following message. Failed: 3x Timed Out server application never registered to receive message

Tried restarting, that did' work.

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), 27" late 2013

Posted on Oct 13, 2015 5:45 PM

16 replies

Oct 18, 2015 7:11 PM in response to Albert Maruggi

I have the same issue, just started today (10/17). 10.10.5 on Mac Pro 2013, FCPX 10.2.2, Compressor 4.2.1, Pro Video Formats 2.0.3. It worked last week before I travelled, does now results in this same error.

FCPX is able to export the video from within the app. Send to Compressor... results in the error.

The changes I've made to the machine since last week were the software updates available when I booted it yesterday (10/16)- iMovie 10.1 update, iWork updates, Pixelmator 3.4, and 1Password 5.4. I'm guessing (just a hunch) it being something related to iMovie, though I've not run it since the update, and I don't believe I've ever run it on this computer.

I have tried "Reset Queue..." in Compressor's Preferences>Advanced, and ran the Digital Rebellion Preference Manager and deleted Compressor's prefs, but these steps did not change the outcome.

I hope we can get to the bottom of this.

thx!

Oct 19, 2015 10:16 AM in response to Albert Maruggi

Yes, this issue started for me, completely out of nowhere, about two weeks ago.

I see "Loading project..." instead a preview of the video with the A | B split screen after clicking anywhere on the Compressor screen. Then the preset is lost and I can only see one second of bars.

If I submit batch, after usually six minutes, I get the red "Failed 3x server" message.

And when I say "out of nowhere" that's what I mean. Compressor worked in the morning, it was broken a few hours later with no modifications to the machine at all.

I trashed Compressor and reinstalled form the App Store -- no change in this behavior. I will be looking at other scorched earth solutions like hunting down and trashing every one of Compressor's files.

Frustrating.

Oct 19, 2015 10:31 AM in response to David Bogie Chq-1

Well, the usual scorched earth approach is to pull the settings sub folder out of the Compressor folder (in ~Library/Applications Support). Then trash the Compressor folder. You could also run Digital Rebellion Compressor Repair.

But as I suggested earlier in the thread, it seems to me that this is at least just as likely to be one of the FCP X glitches, rather than Compressor.

Russ

Oct 19, 2015 10:31 AM in response to Albert Maruggi

Putting the error message in to google revealed the same and similar issues have been happening with Compressor since early 2009.

Here are some of the suggestions:

http://jonnyelwyn.co.uk/film-and-video-editing/compressor-3x-crash-service-down- error/

https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/8/1066410

my testing was consistent in that with the best s

settings- Resize Filter, Deinterlace, Adaptive Details checked and combination whatsoever of any value above 0 on the sliders for Anti-alias and Details Level gave me the 3x crash. if one of them was 0 then I had no issue. Curtis

When I wanted to share from within Final Cut Pro and either do the preset renders (like Apple Devices) it would give me that 3x crash service down error. Same if I export to compressor - compressor would fail.

Now if I just share, sent to compressor then it would work and compressor would be fine.

But to fix the problem, I uninstalled Perian (like a previous poster suggested) and that solved the issue - no more errors.

For what it's worth, I found that creating a droplet from within Compressor and using that, as opposed to opening the Compressor, have been the solution for some people, myself included.

• First, make sure that you're only logged in to one local account. A Mac OS feature called Fast User Switching allows you to be running as multiple users at the same time. This can be convenient, but it also interferes with Compressor's encoding engine. Often, our students can resolve the 3X Crash Service Down error by logging out of all other users and resubmitting their Compressor jobs.
  • If that isn't enough to solve the problem, reset Compressor's encoding services. From the Compressor menu, choose "Reset

The other thing to try, if that doesn't work, is to go to the finder, hit "go to folder" (apple shift g), and type "var/spool/qmaster", and move the contents in it into the trash. Then reset background encoding and try again.Background Processing."

I have found discussions about the 3x crash problem on the Apple support site as well as other FCP discussion groups but no clear solution seemed to be posted except a suggestion to use Digital Rebellion's Preference Manager. While at the Digital Rebellion site I found "Compressor Repair" which I ran as it also can remove Compressor's preferences.

Oct 19, 2015 10:52 AM in response to Russ H

Russ H wrote:

Well, the usual scorched earth approach is to pull the settings sub folder out of the Compressor folder (in ~Library/Applications Support). Then trash the Compressor folder. You could also run Digital Rebellion Compressor Repair.But as I suggested earlier in the thread, it seems to me that this is at least just as likely to be one of the FCP X glitches, rather than Compressor.

Russ

Possible.

The historical (totally anecdotal and therefore unreliable) evidence implies it is a much weirder issue than just a sub-folder contents. But, yeah, I'll try that, too!

See me (possibly pointless) research below (and that was just the first page of google hits!).

Oct 19, 2015 11:02 AM in response to David Bogie Chq-1

Trashed the Settings Folder (sigh). Restarted machine, just to make sure. Have even tried a new user account. No chancge in Compressor's behavior.

I can Share from FCPX but Send to Compressor give me "Loading Project…" without any ability to preview anything. Submit Batch shows "Processing" but no progress is ever displayed in the progress bar and eventually Compressor will return the red Failed 3x error.

Oct 19, 2015 3:01 PM in response to David Bogie Chq-1

Well after deleting 'Perian' (wondering that I still have this on my machine) and digging deeper into the Console-App, I've found another extension that could not be started by Compressor (iGetter). So I also trashed that. No success.

I reinstalled FCPX. No success. Reinstalled Compressor. No Success.

Console gave me this info:

19.10.15 23:33:42,569 com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: (com.apple.xpc.launchd.user.506.100006.Aqua) Could not import service from caller: caller = otherbsd.375, service = com.apple.CompressorHelper-2, error = 119: Service is disabled

19.10.15 23:33:42,570 otherbsd[375]: Could not submit LoginItem job com.apple.CompressorHelper-2: 119: Service is disabled

19.10.15 23:34:52,400 Compressor[1438]: The function ‘CGContextErase’ is obsolete and will be removed in an upcoming update. Unfortunately, this application, or a library it uses, is using this obsolete function, and is thereby contributing to an overall degradation of system performance.

19.10.15 23:34:52,456 Compressor[1438]: -[CQApp launchSharingHelperApp] Cleaning up CompressorHelper since Compressor.app hasn't been shut down cleanly

19.10.15 23:35:30,160 Final Cut Pro[1457]: objc[1457]: Class PMR is implemented in both /Applications/Final Cut Pro.app/Contents/PlugIns/Compressor/CompressorKit.bundle/Contents/Frameworks/AE Core.framework/Versions/A/AECore and /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/PhotoLibraryPrivate.framework/Versions/A/Fram eworks/PMR.framework/Versions/A/PMR. One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.

19.10.15 23:38:42,836 Compressor[1438]: CMediaServerMediaDecoder::coreBegin: terminating the app because of uncaught exception: Timed out, server application never registered to receive message

19.10.15 23:38:42,858 com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: (com.apple.Compressor.504132[1438]) Service exited with abnormal code: 1

19.10.15 23:46:39,588 Compressor[3020]: -[CQApp launchSharingHelperApp] Cleaning up CompressorHelper since Compressor.app hasn't been shut down cleanly

19.10.15 23:46:39,880 Compressor[3020]: WARNING: The Gestalt selector gestaltSystemVersion is returning 10.9.5 instead of 10.10.5. Use NSProcessInfo's operatingSystemVersion property to get correct system version number.

I also started Etre-Check, which gave me this (confusing) info:

[running] com.apple.CompressorHelper-2 - com.apple.CompressorHelper-2: Executable not found!

Maybe there is some developer around who can use this to further investigate. That would be charming. Thanks!

Compressor 4.2.1 not processing FCPx 10.2.2 projects

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.