Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Tape to MacBook input question!

Macbook pro mid 2012. Using Audacity. Stereo is a dual cassette Aiwa mini shelf system. only can see speaker jacks (wired) and the headphone jack. Of course, RCA for input TO the system.

ive got the 3.5mm double cord, but I think my big issue is the Mac port. ive read I have to select the headphone jack on the Mac for INPUT. I don't see an option to select it. In fact, reading Apple's directions, I don't have any option on the input screen they say I should have. Of course, I can't find the link, but it was an actual page done by Apple.

Trying the transfer anyway and hitting PLAY on the tape deck, I hear NOTHING. Tape is running, no audio heard. Ive got to be able to hear the audio at the same time due to the nature of the audio I'm using. its just like it is in headphone mode nothing going to the Mac? And even before I hit play on the tape, any external noises bounce on the levels in the preferences area. 😟 Any help is GREATLY appreciated. Doesn't have to be great quality...just aircheck tapes:)

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5), Late 2011 13in

Posted on Oct 13, 2015 3:39 PM

4 replies

Oct 14, 2015 7:16 AM in response to carrie640

okay, in audacity, there should be a speaker slider icon at the top of the screen. play with that. also, go to preferences, then either I/O or recording and check 'play other tracks wihile recording new one' -it could be software playthrough: Listen while recording or monitoring new track

I'm sure it's there anyways

good luck to you

John B

Oct 15, 2015 7:39 AM in response to carrie640

that's a bummer. I was going to suggest option-clicking on the speaker icon at the top of the screen to see all of your audio inputs and outputs, or going to system prefences, then sound, then click on "use audio port for" and choose input if you can, but I'm not sure if that'd work. Failing that, you can get a few audio to usb cables-probably 3.5 mm to usb, maybe 2 rca to usb. Shouldn't be too expensive at all

JB

Tape to MacBook input question!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.