Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't watch Youtube in 1080p and it's slow

I have a Mac Book Pro from 2012. It has a 2.7 Ghz Intel Core i7 processor. It has a display of 2880 x 1800. I only started having this problem when I updated to safari 9. Before that everything worked perfectly. Apparently I only have this problem on Safari, because Crome works fine. I really want to use safari. Is there something wrong in my settings or is my wifi just slow?

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Oct 13, 2015 5:23 PM

6 replies

Oct 19, 2015 5:34 AM in response to king101well

I don't have the slowness but I can't watch 1080p on YouTube, or even when tested with an Apple Store trailer, since upgrading to Safari 9. I have the same mid 2012 MacBook Pro with retina display running Mavericks 10.9.5. and everyone online that I've seen who has this problem, which is about a half-dozen others, has the same combo. It's either a flash problem, and/ or a problem with HTML5 not fully being implemented when visiting YouTube. Firefox works fine with 1080p on YouTube. I spent at least six hours with AppleCare advisers on the phone on this, and the latest one is communicating with the engineers and has sent them a log of the problem as it was tested in Safari, and in Firefox, for comparison. I hope to hear back from her soon.

Oct 22, 2015 4:12 PM in response to king101well

I talked to the Apple advisor earlier today, and she said, based on the info the AppleCare advisor sent them when troubleshooting with me (and they claim this is the first they were aware of it--apparently they don't read their forums thoroughly), that there is a problem with activation or recognition of the Media Source Extensions (MSE) part of HTML5, which is what I had come to suspect, with Safari 9 and OS X 10.9 (Mavericks), but not with OS X 10.7 (Lion), 10.8 (Mountain Lion), 10.10 (Yosemite), or 10.11 (El Capitan), only OS X 10.9. She said Apple is working on a solution which will be corrected in a future update (not the one that was released yesterday) but she could not tell me what time the schedule would be. I have no idea why only Mavericks is affected. She said they were working with YouTube to solve the problem, but I don't think it is strictly a YouTube problem because when the first AppleCare advisor tested my system with a 1080p animation video, which he knew to be 1080p, generated from the Apple store, Safari 9 still had the same problem of no 1080p.

I can't watch Youtube in 1080p and it's slow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.