Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Did Migration Assistant delete my files?

Hi there,

I just got a new hard drive installed on my MacBook Pro (late 2011 model) because the last drive was damaged. I just used Migration Assistant to restore my data. Unfortunately, for some reason everything but my "Documents" folder transferred AND the Documents folder is now empty on my external backup drive. Should I be panicking? I don't remember it asking me if I wanted to delete any files at all.

iBook, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Oct 13, 2015 6:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 15, 2015 7:25 AM

Nothing to do with MA. Your Documents folder was empty on the backup.

6 replies

Oct 13, 2015 6:47 PM in response to Chocolateprophet

The Mac is inherently a Multi-User system. System files are kept in completely different directories from User files. User files are kept separated by User, and protected from Users other than the owner. You can not just dump files onto a Mac and expect they will be accessible once you log on.

If you set up a new account, then added files, the files may have been added to a different account, and be protected from you.

Are there multiple Accounts now? do you know, for sure, what each account has for files?

Did Migration Assistant delete my files?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.