Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessage no longer syncing since updating to El Capitan

I use iMessage on my iMac, MacBook Air, iPhone and iPad. All was working well until I updated the Macs to El Capitan. Now, the messages do no sync reliably.

I have attempted to logout of iCloud on both devices. As an example, my MacBook has my last text at 11AM, while I have numerous texts on iPhone several hours later.

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Oct 13, 2015 6:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 14, 2015 7:35 PM

If the problem is that cellular text messages are not forwarded from your iPhone, follow the instructions in this support article, under the heading

To use Continuity for SMS and MMS with your iPhone and your Mac, iPad or iPod touch

6 replies

Oct 16, 2015 6:51 AM in response to Linc Davis

Thank you for the response. I checked the handoff settings and they are all enabled. iMessages worked fine amongst all my devices prior to installing El Capitan. At this point, some messages do appear and others do not. I have not been able to determine the pattern. However, it is conclusive that El Capitan and/or iOS9 seem to be the root starter of the issue.

Nov 23, 2015 8:13 PM in response to robfromcumming

Read this on a different thread, but it worked perfectly for me, and I had the same exact problem.

Go to the iPhone > Settings > Messages > Send and Receive.

The iPhone Number should be ticked but greyed out (i.e. you can't change it as the user).

There's a button you push at the top to use your Apple ID for Messages. I pressed that, and it added back my Apple ID and everything worked again!

Hope this helps!

iMessage no longer syncing since updating to El Capitan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.