Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport extreme configuration

I bought a netgear modem and I need to configure my original airport extreme to get wifi. Can someone walk me through the process?

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Oct 13, 2015 8:55 PM

4 replies

Oct 13, 2015 9:10 PM in response to Rhodester63

I bought a netgear modem

Netgear sells a number of different cable and DSL modems....and they are as different as night and day. It would really help us if you could provide a model number for the modem that you have.

I need to configure my original airport extreme to get wifi

There are at least 10 different models of the AirPort Extreme, so it would really help us if you could provide a model number. In almost all cases, the model number is on the bottom of the device. It starts with an "A" followed by four numbers.

Basically, there are 3 types of AirPort Extreme......the older "round or dome" shaped Extreme, the previous generation models that were "flat or square" shaped and the most recent version, which is shaped like a "tower". Which of these basic shapes describes the "original" AirPort that you might have?

Oct 15, 2015 4:22 PM in response to Rhodester63

Power off the modem completely by pulling the power cord from the back of the device

Unplug the co-ax cable and Ethernet cable as well

Leave the modem powered off for at least 30 minutes.....longer will not hurt

During the time that the modem is powered down, power up the AirPort Extreme for a few minutes

Hold in the reset button on the back of the AirPort Extreme for 7 to 8 seconds and then release

Allow a full minute for the AirPort Extreme to restart to a slow, blinking amber light status

Power off the AirPort Extreme

User uploaded file

After at least a 30 minute modem power down period, connect the co-ax cable and Ethernet cable to the modem

Connect the other end of the Ethernet cable to the WAN "O" port on the AirPort Extreme

Power up the modem and let it run for 10 minutes

Power up the AirPort Extreme and let it run a few minutes

Click the WiFi icon on your Mac and look for a listing of New AirPort Base Station

Click on AirPort Extreme just below the new AirPort listing

User uploaded file

That will get the setup "wizard" up and running. It will take a few seconds for a screen that looks like this to appear, except that you will see a picture of the AirPort Extreme

User uploaded file

Follow the prompts to reconfigure the AirPort Extreme again. It is recommended that you use a different short, simple name for the wireless network than you used before and use a new wireless password as well.

Continue to follow the prompts. When you see the message of Setup Complete, click Done, and your AirPort Extreme should be up and running.

Airport extreme configuration

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.