Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reverting to previous iOS

I am genuinely upset and disappointed in Apple. I had iOS 7 on my iPad and it was running fine until the "other" folder began to accumulate large amounts of data and this is only because of the newly available iOS 9. This is a marketing ploy designed to force your hand and make you update, and I did. However, I can no longer sync my iPad with my 10.6.8 Snow Leopard MacBook because that iTunes is not supported. Further, I cannot download the newest iTunes on my Mac because my OS is not supported. I do not wish to update my Mac OS because snow leopard is great I do not want to worry about backing up and upgrading seeing as how it is 100% completely unnecessary.

This is absolutely ridiculous and enough to make me lose my once held admiration and support for Apple. I have long since preferred Apple OS to Windows seeing as how Windows is nothing but trouble, but this ridiculous circus sideshow made me realize Apple is no different.

Is there a way to revert my iPad to the last update it held so that it is not a useless brick? If not then Apple is dead to me.

iPad (3rd gen) Wi-Fi, iOS 9.0.2

Posted on Oct 13, 2015 9:21 PM

2 replies

Oct 14, 2015 1:59 AM in response to theguy123

Have you tried a hard reset of your iPad by holding down both the Home and sleep/wake buttons simultaneously until your iPad goes to black and restarts with Apple logo, then release the buttons?

Also, FYI, OS X 10.6.8 Snow Leopard has not received any updates for a few years, now, so (like myself and many who may still need and use OS X Snow Leopard) you are using an out of date and less secure OS X version at your own, potential, peril.

At the very least, you should be using another web browser other than the version of Safari that is part of OS X Snow Leopard because it is no longer secure.

Try using Mozilla Firefox, instead.

Hardware and software advances move on.

You could just decide to purchase an external hard drive and install a newer OS X version there just so you can boot/ access and try a new OS X version and install an updated iTunes to sync your iPad 3 with iOS 9 and be able to backup any important data on your iPad.

You still retain your original OS X Snow Leopard OS on your computer's internal drive.

In addition and this is important, you really should have a complete backup of your entire computer and any important you have stored on your computer.

Mechanical hard drives can fail at ANY time and, usually, when it is the most inconvenient and critical times.

It's not a matter of IF a hard drive will fail, but WHEN!

Having a large capacity, fast, externally connected and partitioned hard drive (with your data backed up to that drive) gives you redundancy and protection of any precious data and files you have been saving on your computer for any significant length of time.

The day your hard drive fails ( and you come to these forums crying, whining and complaining that your hard drive has died and you are desperate for a fix) to recover your precious long time saved data and you discover, from someone knowledgable here, that there is a high chance that recovery will be impossible, you will wish that you had created a proper backup that data.

The choices and decisions are yours to make.

Reverting to previous iOS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.