Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

getting passwords from my iPhone 4S into my 5

A week ago I backed up my iPhone 4S (IOS 7.1.2) to my Macbook Maverick, got a iPhone 5 (IOS 9.0.2) and restored that backup to the newer phone.

I moved the old backup files out of the ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/ into a separate folder on the desktop so I could backup the 5.

I still have the 4S, and its data. Now I realize I am missing wifi and other passwords on the iPhone 5.

How do I get the passwords from the 4S to the 5 ? I don't want to overwrite any current data on the 5, however last week's new wifi passwords on the 5, I wrote down.

On some online sources I have read that I need to back/encrypt the old data, but would appreciate help with what I am doing.

iPhone 4S, iOS 6.1.3

Posted on Oct 13, 2015 9:48 PM

2 replies

Oct 13, 2015 10:13 PM in response to Ian Campbell2

Computer backups have to be encrypted to include passwords. It's too late to do a new backup now now because yoo can't restore from a backup without losing any new data on the phone.

You could try updating the iPhone 4S then enable iCloud Keychain on both phones. That should make the iPhone 4S passwords available on the iPhone 5.

Oct 14, 2015 8:40 AM in response to Ian Campbell2

Thanks for the quick reply Malcolm. I think I am v lucky. I followed up on your mention of the iCloud Keychain and checked both phones and the Macbook, all three keychains were turned on.
I will have to check all this more thoroughly but it looks like the Macbook Keychain has recently updated the iPhone 5 with the passwords from the 4S.

getting passwords from my iPhone 4S into my 5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.