Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Installed OS X 10:11 and Entourage will not work properly

Recently installed OS X El Capitan Version 10.1. Entourage has ceased to function properly - after opening it will only function for a few minutes before not responding and requiring a force quit. Is there a patch to overcome this problem.

Mac Pro (Early 2008), OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Oct 13, 2015 8:14 PM

21 replies

Oct 14, 2015 2:30 AM in response to dutchboy5

Entourage implies you are using a very old version of Office probably Office 2008. Microsoft no longer support Office 2008 or earlier versions, this means they will not fix any issues with it. The current version of Office for Mac is now Office 2016. (The clue to the age of Office 2008 is in its name 🙂)

Currently there are known problems between Office 2016 and El Capitan (aka. 10.11) which Microsoft are aware of and working to fix. Outlook for Mac in Office 2011 was the replacement for Entourage and while Outlook 2011 initially also had problems with El Capitan these are supposedly now fixed in the Office 2011 14.5.6 update which Microsoft recently issued.

So, if your using Office 2008 or earlier you will need to buy an upgrade, if your using Office 2011 you can download and install a free update, and if your using Office 2016 you need to wait for a fix.

Oct 29, 2015 8:49 PM in response to dutchboy5

So, me too and I know Microsoft isn't going to help with Entourage 2008. Thing is i don't want to use Outlook 2011 or 2014 or i'd be using them. Way to twitchy for me, ribbons indeed. So, this is what i have to contribute. I get a about a day in before having to force quit. Had the same issue on my machine when i went to 10.10 and i can't remember if it just worked itself out or if i took advice from a forum someplace and deleted a cache or something. About to head back to forums for Mavericks and Yosemite, bet there is a clue there. Would be nice if instead of "wait for Microsoft" for someone skilled to just read the crash log and tell me what is conflicting. I'm not quite that skilled but i do think if it can work for 24 hour its fundamentally curable. Will let you know what i come up with.

Nov 10, 2015 3:56 PM in response to dutchboy5

I have the same problem. On updating to El Capitan 10.11.1 I found that Entourage launches but then hangs (whirling circle) when trying to connect to the Exchange server. I use Office 2011 mostly, but have stuck with Entourage from Office 2008 as I prefer it as an e-mail programme (I receive 100-150 emails daily and Entourage has lines between messages, allowing them to be clearly separated, whereas Outlook frustratingly dropped this option). I am very disappointed that Apple did not check El Capitan compatibility with what is likely to be a major user group of programmes (MS Office 2008, 2011). I have written to Microsoft to ask for a fix, but in the meantime will be reverting back to Yosemite (if I can!). Any hints or progress from Dominic or others very welcome.

Nov 10, 2015 4:04 PM in response to plzpsd

Microsoft dropped support for Entourage long ago, as did Apple once Entourages manufacturer dropped it. But it does work on ElCap if you properly remove it and then reinstall it.

Note 'properly' don't just dump in the trash, and make sure that you have the activation key before you do it, Microsoft won't help you if you don't.

PS. Apple do not check compatibility, they write the OS, compatibility is up to the manufacturers who write software to run on the OS (Entourage was gone long before ElCap was even an idea so you're kind of on your own here)

Nov 11, 2015 4:36 PM in response to Csound1

The programme Entourage itself launches and starts to run, but then 'hangs' when trying to connect to the Microsoft Exchange server (this is a work account). So I don't think the problem is Entourage itself, but rather the exchange server extra software. Any thoughts, thanks! Will set up a separate post to see if any other Mac mail programme that allows separator (grid) lines as Entourage does, but which was annoyingly dropped by Microsoft in Outlook 2011, though the option kept in all Windows versions of Outlook.

Installed OS X 10:11 and Entourage will not work properly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.