Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

keyboard text replacement gone missing

I have just upgraded to El Capitan and have just noticed all my keyboard text shortcuts have gone missing e.g. I used to type gs and and my macbook would convert that to great shot etc. I had loads of them. How do I get them all back without having to retype them all?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Oct 14, 2015 12:47 AM

9 replies

Oct 14, 2015 6:41 AM in response to gbrown17

gbrown17 wrote:

I have noticed a similar issue. When I used to hold down a letter key e.g. o, a pop up would appear and allow me to select alternative characters such as o with two dots above (German, Swedish characters). Now that has disappeared. Anyone know why it has gone and how to get it back?

Your issue is totally different than keyboard shortcuts going missing. Try adding the French or Spanish keyboard to system prefs/keyboard/input sources and restart and see if the Character Picker comes back.

Oct 16, 2015 2:46 AM in response to griffl01

Does anyone have the same problem and know how to resolve it?

I created a lot of text replacements in Settings -> Keyboard -> Text.

Every day I recognize the list of replacements is empty. I add them again and on the next day its still empty again. This is annoying.

Just have to wait for the next update, hoping it will be resolved, or does anyone know another solution how to keep the text replacements reliable?

Regards,

Bernd

Nov 25, 2015 6:42 PM in response to griffl01

I found the solution to this on another support post, and yes mine probably disappeared after upgrading to El Capitan, but I haven't checked my text replacement preference panel in a long time so who knows when they went away. I didn't believe it would work, for it didn't make sense to me, but it worked. I simply logged out of iCloud on the affected MacBook and then logged back into iCloud. No reboot, no nothing. My keyboard shortcuts came back, even ones that I had created on my iPhone some time ago. So they are somehow synched across your iCloud account and devices. Try it, it just works.👿

keyboard text replacement gone missing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.