Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does CS3 run on El Capitan ?

Hello,

I have 10 iMac running Snow Leopard (10.6.8) and CS3.

I would like to buy ten more iMac. They will eventually run El Capitan, and I would like to use my other licenses of CS3 on the new iMac, so that 20 people will be able to work with CS3.

Anyone knows if CS3 is going to work on El Capitan ?

thank you

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Oct 14, 2015 4:59 AM

58 replies

Oct 14, 2015 5:11 AM in response to helenfromitaly

If you buy a new iMac, unless it has been on the shelf a while, it will

likely be already loaded with El Capitan (especially if buying 10).

CS3 is already 3 versions behind (4 if you include the current Creative Cloud

subscription version) and as such will likely be problematic.

It sounds like you are in some form of production environment and as such, the

new subscription model might suit you as it will be a lower cost to upgrade and

should be able to be added as a basic office expense as opposed to a purchased

version (expensive) which usually requires a multitude of signatures, a blessing from the

Pope, and an act of God. The smaller subscription payments are usually more

palatable to the bean counters.

Oct 14, 2015 5:23 AM in response to helenfromitaly

very likely not, but it if is possible the most likely procedure would be to install Java SE6 before attempting to install Creative Suite

Java for OS X 2015-001

if it does not work I would not expect Adobe to come to anyone's rescue, they're busy trying push Cloud out to all legacy users, and while I finally got Ps Ai and Id to work (CC2015) in 10.11 my acrobat is boned and an Adobe sr. Tech wants me to buy a new HD because "there may be a compatibility with another application or file on another partition" so yay adobe, this is what $30 a month buys you.

Oct 14, 2015 6:19 AM in response to Eau Rouge

Probably trying and install El Cap is the best way to solve the problem and know the truth, but, as a reply to all of you, I must say I work in a school and there is not much money available, and that is the reason why we're trying to find an arrangement that suits everyone.

So that is also why we'd like to stick to CS3, for buying a CS6 or paying a CC license would be enormously expensive for a school, despite Adobe education packages offers.

@woodmeister50

I'm not sure what you talking about when you speak of "the new subscription model".

If you mean the CC subscription model, it would be enormously expensive for a school with hundreds of users (students) to pay for monthly access.

@JimmyCMPIT

sorry but my english is not good enough to let me understan what you meant by:

"while I finally got Ps Ai and Id to work (CC2015) in 10.11 my acrobat is boned and an Adobe sr. Tech wants me to buy a new HD because "there may be a compatibility with another application or file on another partition" so yay adobe, this is what $30 a month buys you."

anyway thanks to everyone trying to help

Oct 14, 2015 6:33 AM in response to helenfromitaly

I had issues with 10.11 and all of the Creative Cloud 2015 suite. Any application I clicked on failed with an error 1 or an error 6

Ps (Photoshop)

Ai (Illustrator)

Id (InDesign)

but after much deletion, process stopping and file renaming and ultimately deleting I got those three applications to work by repeated uninstall, re-download, re-install,so hours of lost time trying to get them to function

At this time Acrobat still will not work and I've had four adobe technicians try to fix this,

the last tech I spoke to who was supposedly a senior employee suggested I install a brand new hard drive and then install 10.11 on it and then install CC 2015 because another disk partition on the drive might be the cause. The drive I have in there now is fine, they can't fix this.

I'm telling you this because some might suggest upgrade to the latest and greatest and you might be problem free, just pay Adobe their monthly fee and keep using their software, however this is not my experience with Adobe at this time and I'm sharing that information with you as something to consider.

Yay Adobe is sarcasm, their tech support could not make a bowl of Ice Cream Soup as far as I'm concerned.

Oct 14, 2015 6:41 AM in response to helenfromitaly

Hopefully your iMacs are not too old and unable to install El Capitan. You may want to install it to an external disc, or a different partition on the internal, this will preserve the Snow Leopard installation, should anything go wrong. Lets hope it doesn't. Once El Capitan has downloaded, it will ask you if you want to go ahead with the Installation, at this point say no and quit the installer application. Look in your application folder for the Install OS X El Capitan app,

make a copy of this on a USB stick or another part of the iMacs disc, and keep for later use. If you are happy with El Capitan you can use this to install on your other iMacs, instead of having to use the App Store.

In order for PS3 to work you will need to download and install the legacy Java installer from here. It may also help with other Apps.

Java for OS X 2015-001

It is also important to find out if any other apps that are installed on your iMacs have available upgrades to make them work on El Capitan.

Oh and Apple just announced new iMacs.

Oct 14, 2015 7:41 AM in response to helenfromitaly

Adobe Photoshop System Requirements (Photoshop 1 → Photoshop CC).

CS3 requires QuickTime 7 for multimedia features. QuickTime 7 is 32-bit and I do not believe it is available for download to El Capitan (which will be pre-installed on all new iMacs). CS3 is a 32-bit universal binary too, written for the older PowerPC and multicore Intel processors.

Some of the Photoshop plug-ins/filters/actions may simply not work on El Capitan, or may not longer be available, as they may have exploited features on your current Macs. Consider that among your upgrade costs.

Does CS3 run on El Capitan ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.