Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Thunderbolt to "USB 3.0 with Thunderbolt passthrough"?

Hi all,

I have a Mac Mini 2011 with AMD graphics. I am currently setting-up a triple monitor configuration. I am connecting one monitor with Thunderbolt, one with HDMI and the other with a USB to HDMI adapter. My Mac Mini 2011 has USB 2.0 and not 3.0's, which bottlenecks my USB to HDMI adapter. I want to remove this bottleneck by utilising Thunderbolt (10Gbps bandwidth).

I want to find an adapter that has a Thunderbolt with a USB 3.0 connection and a Thunderbolt passthrough. So I can use my USB to HDMI adapter with the USB 3.0 port and my display from the Thunderbolt passthrough. (Please look at image)

User uploaded file

That thing in the middle of the image (USB 3.0 and Thunderbolt Passthrough) is what I need. There are Belkin Express Dock and a host of other docks but they seem like absolute overkill and are overpriced. Something out there that has a USB 3.0 and a Thunderbolt passthrough port?

Thank you,

Zukky

Mac mini, OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Oct 14, 2015 8:53 AM

4 replies

Oct 15, 2015 3:45 AM in response to ZukkyBee

The docks seem to be the only thing available, unfortunately.

Guess there just is not a big enough market for TB->USB3 adapters.

Also, because of the stupid licensing model Intel has placed on TB technology,

it could just be cost prohibitive to make such a beast. Also, since everthing

these days is shipped with USB3 (2013 and newer), there is just not enough

incentive to create something for a market that will eventually go away.

Thunderbolt to "USB 3.0 with Thunderbolt passthrough"?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.