Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

LaserWriter 8500 Print quality

Just put a brand new OEM toner cartridge in my LW 8500. 1st 5 or 6 pages were beautiful. Now it's printing all grey all over the page. Any ideas?

Posted on Oct 14, 2015 12:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 15, 2015 11:50 AM

By "brand new OEM," are you referring to an Apple retail-boxed toner cartridge? If you found one, I would have to assume that it's new "old stock." The problem with toner cartridges (that include the drum) is that they do have a shelf life, even when they remain sealed in the bag. A laser repair shop owner once told me that the shelf life is about a year, for expected optimal performance. This doesn't mean that a new cartridge can't or won't function normally after sitting in inventory for one or two years. It only increases the possibility of having printing anomalies. If the cartridge is 10+ years-old, it's a gamble. The photosensitive surface of the drum deteriorates while in long-term storage, which can cause a number of printing defects. In your case, the 8500 has a print density control dial located inside the printer, to the left. As toner cartridges age, many users will increase the density setting by rotating the dial clockwise, to compensate for pale printing. When you install a new toner cartridge, the density control should be turned back (counterclockwise), if you're getting too much toner being applied to the page resulting in a gray-tinted page.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 15, 2015 11:50 AM in response to faturner

By "brand new OEM," are you referring to an Apple retail-boxed toner cartridge? If you found one, I would have to assume that it's new "old stock." The problem with toner cartridges (that include the drum) is that they do have a shelf life, even when they remain sealed in the bag. A laser repair shop owner once told me that the shelf life is about a year, for expected optimal performance. This doesn't mean that a new cartridge can't or won't function normally after sitting in inventory for one or two years. It only increases the possibility of having printing anomalies. If the cartridge is 10+ years-old, it's a gamble. The photosensitive surface of the drum deteriorates while in long-term storage, which can cause a number of printing defects. In your case, the 8500 has a print density control dial located inside the printer, to the left. As toner cartridges age, many users will increase the density setting by rotating the dial clockwise, to compensate for pale printing. When you install a new toner cartridge, the density control should be turned back (counterclockwise), if you're getting too much toner being applied to the page resulting in a gray-tinted page.

Oct 15, 2015 5:45 AM in response to Jeff

My first instinct was to turn down the image control knob, which I did, and I connected the printer to an OS 9 machine and turned it down using the Printer Utility. No luck. I downloaded the "Service Source" manual and under troubleshooting it described the same situation and states, "This condition is usually associated with a brand new toner cartridge. Refer to TIL article 24286 for more information". Can not find this article anywhere.

LaserWriter 8500 Print quality

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.