Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Expanding/Swollen battery destroying Macbook Pro 13"

Recently I noticed the trackpad on my Macbook Pro 13" begin to bulge. After taking a closer look and doing some research online I realized it was my battery swelling. I planned to take it to my local Apple store when I had some free time. I left it unplugged and powered off on my desk for 2 days and when I returned to it, the battery had expanded to the point of cracking my trackpad from the inside. The trackpad is now completely destroyed and the machine will not power on at all.

Does Apple provide any type of help-support-service-repair for this happening? Is this a known common issue within the Apple community? Obviously I found a lot of information online from different people, but how common is something like this?

Having a battery go bad over time and need to be replaced is understandable, but I don't understand how there can be such an extremely design flaw or defect with these batteries. I also don't see why there would be no help from Apple with this. My computer is completely useless and because of nothing I did.

What are my options and how can I go about receiving help?

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8), Expanding battery

Posted on Oct 15, 2015 5:39 AM

1 reply

Oct 15, 2015 7:57 AM in response to Loving my apples

Whoa there ! This isn't an official Apple forum. We are just Apple users helping each other out. Anyways, Apple does offer a battery replacement service. what happened to you isn't that common, but it has been known to happen. If you just bought it, you have 90 days phone support and 1 year support otherwise. If you have Applecare or you bought your Macbook pro 13" with a credit card, you may have an extended warranty. your best bet would be to book an appointment with your local Genius Bar/Apple-authorized repair place and take it in. Yeah, this stinks, I know, but there's not a lot else you can do right now.

you could try calling Apple's technical support line, but they'd probably tell you the same thing: Here's a hint for you, though: Save your reciepts/paperwork and be nice. Yellling at Apple won't get you too far

John B

Expanding/Swollen battery destroying Macbook Pro 13"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.