Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Web browsers randomly crash on iPad2 since the iOS9 updates.

Since the iOS9 updates, my web browsers randomly crash on my 64gb iPad2. Browsers used include Safari, Atomic Web Browser and Dolphin. Any suggestions to try and fix this issue?

iPad 2, iOS 9.0.2

Posted on Oct 15, 2015 7:47 AM

15 replies

Oct 15, 2015 10:15 AM in response to Waghals

Try resetting all settings found in the Settings App under General and located in the right panel under Reset.

Try resetting all web browsers histories and caches in each web browser.

Try turning on Reduced Motion.

This is found in the Settings App in the General tab the left panel.

In the right panel look under Accessibility, the look for Reduce Motion and turn this feature "On".

You should see an appreciable performance increase on all iPad 2, 3 and 4 models.

Try a hard reset of your iPad by holding down both the Home and sleep/wake buttons simultaneously until your iPad goes to black and restarts with Apple logo, then release the buttons.

Good Luck!

Oct 20, 2015 6:05 AM in response to MichelPM

Tried everything you suggested and everything ran smoothly for a little while before the same problems showed up. Any browser I use crashes regularly and randomly still. I get the feeling there will be no fix from Apple to support older iPads and since Apple unsigned their previous versions on 1 October, the ability to revert to the last version that worked is no longer available. If anyone knows of another solution for the web browser issue, the help would be greatly appreciated.

Oct 21, 2015 8:57 AM in response to DennisOLE

Yes, iPad 2 totally ruined.

9.0.1 very serious lag and browsers crash - particularly Safari, others less so, but all much worse than 8.4.x

9.0.2, lag is not as bad, but no browser improvement, maybe worse.

INstalled FoxBrowser, much more stable, but has a few limitations eg 10 tabs max

APple - when are you going to bring my iPad back to what it was in 8.4.x

Dec 12, 2015 12:40 PM in response to MichelPM

Similar problem - screen, or part of the screen, (usually in Safari) starts to jiggle/ visually vibrate very fast --- and does not respond to on/off switch or home button. Only rebooting it with holding Power switch and home button simultaneously works. So far, this has happened about 20 times. No clue as to when, or on what app/site, or screen it will occur.

Reboot will take me out of the "spasm" but does not prevent the next one.

Any further clues? Mine is still under warranty - should I just take it in for servicing?

Dec 12, 2015 7:09 PM in response to DrTK

This is something totally different.

If your iPad 2 was purchased new and is still under AppleCare warranty, I would bring it in to an Apple Store for diagnosis.

I have no real idea how that particular issue is happening.

Make a Genius Bar appointment and bring it in to your local Apple Store.

Could be something else wrong with your iPad 2.

Dec 12, 2015 7:36 PM in response to MichelPM

Thanks, MichelPM,

By the time I got to the end of my own message, I realized that the best thing to do is to go to Apple directly - of course!

Actually, I have an iPad mini with retina display that only started having this effect since the most recent update. I'm updating tonight to 9.2, so we'll see if it happens after this. If/when I get an answer, I'll post it.

Again, thanks for the reply to my original question.

Dec 12, 2015 9:58 PM in response to Waghals

Since updating my iPad 2 to iOS 9, I have suffered thru constant browser crashes as well as general system lag. I have followed all the suggestions I could find and seen little improvement. The things that helped slightly have been reducing system demand by minimizing the number of apps open at the same time, minimizing the number of browser tabs open at the same time, and turning off the function that lets me answer iPhone calls on the iPad. iOS 9.2 has improved the situation a bit as I'm seeing fewer browser crashes. My suspicion is that the older iPads don't have enough system memory to handle the demands of the new software. Nothing to be done about that on our end.

Jan 18, 2016 10:20 AM in response to Waghals

No suggestions. Sorry. It seem along with browser issue my ipad2 crashed in the middle of using ANY app. Nothing but silence from Apple. My guess is they don't want to older devices thus fircing you to buy new ones. Why else have software update that will not work properly on older devices. I have newer devices that work great with the update. I have done everything to try to fix this including wipong my ioad clean ans starting it as brand new. No luck

Jan 18, 2016 11:32 AM in response to gigi152

Here's an update to my original posting that has more possible solutions to try.

My iPad 2 and 3 64 GB storage models work great on iOS 9.2.

What iPad 2 storage model do you have?

How much free storage space is left on your device?

How many apps do you regularly leave running in the background in the App Switcher?

How many active web site tabs do you leave active in a web browser?

Try resetting All Settings found in the Settings App under General and in the right column under Reset.

Try resetting histories and deleting/resetting caches in all of the web browsers you use.

If you use Safari, these functions maybe in the Settings App under Safari.

Other web browsers have their settings inside of the running app, itself.

If your iPad has been activated for iCloud, in the Settings App under iCloud, to the right, under iCloud Drive, tap iCloud Drive and make sure Safari is turned off for saving Safari data to iCloud Drive.

Also, under iCloud in the Settings App, in iCloud Drive, disable the saving feature for any other apps that you DO NOT want data being saved automatically to iCloud Drive.

If using Safari is still causing issues,

Try changing/using another, different third party web browser.

I don't use iOS Safari too much any longer because I found it causing me some headaches on certain websites I, regularly, visit.

I commonly use another third party web browser, Perfect Web Browser (there are others that may suit your web browsing style better, so look at all of them first to see which third party browser may work better for you) and I never experience a lot of the issues that Safari was causing.

In the Settings App under the General tab, to the right under Spotlight sesrch, try disabling the search under apps that really do not need a search, like some games, remotes, apps that really do not need to be searched, etc., to reduce the list for Spotlight to search.

In the right panel look under Accessibility, the look for Reduce Motion and turn this feature "On".

You should see an appreciable performance increase on all iPad 2, 3 and 4 models.

In the Settings App under the General Tab, in the right column, look for Background App Refresh and turn this setting to "off".

Try a reset of your iPad by holding down both the Home and sleep/wake buttons simultaneously until your iPad goes to black and restarts with Apple logo, then release the buttons.

Good Luck!

Jan 18, 2016 11:35 AM in response to gigi152

If none of my above suggestions fully restored acceptable or full performance of your iPad 2.

Follow this procedure very carefully.

Here is my own modified backup/restore procedure that has already worked, successfully, for several iPad 2/3 users, so far!

I have done this and my iPad 2 and 3 are working like new, " out of the box" units!

THIS PROCEDURE DOES NOT RETURN YOUR iPAD TO ITS PREVIOUS iOS VERSION.

First, connect your iPad to USB and sync and backup your iPad to iTunes (make sure,FIRST, your iTunes is up to the most latest version).

Then disconnect/eject your iPad from the computer.

From just the iPad, in the Settings App under the General setting, look in the right column for Reset option, then erase and reset your iPad to completely erase your iPad and then, again, from the iPad, set it up as a new iPad setup to factory "out of the box" operation.

Then reconnect your iPad to the computer and make sure to cancel the syncing, by tapping the small X to the left in the top center iTunes display box.

iTunes should detect your iPad. If iTunes begins to try and sync, again, cancel the sync.

Select Restore from Backup instead and pick your last backup to restore back to your iPad.

Once the restore is complete, finish setting up the iPad and let it sync back to iTunes you can either cancel the sync, again or let it backup, again.

Then disconnect the iPad.

Do one hard reset of your iPad by holding down both the Home and sleep/wake buttons simultaneously until your iPad goes to black and restarts with Apple logo, then release the buttons.

Once your iPad is back to the Home screen,

In the Settings App under the General tab, to the right under Spotlight sesrch, try disabling the search under apps that really do not need a search, like some games, remotes, apps that really do not need to be searched, etc., to reduce the list for Spotlight to search.

In the Settings App under the General Tab, in the right column, look for Background App Refresh and turn this setting to "off".

If you purchased any music from iTunes, you will need to redownload that content back to your iPad for playing directly from your iPad and not from Apple Music servers.

Also, if your iPad contained a lot of images in the Photos app, these will take time to regenerate the original AND thumbnail images themselves inside of the Photos app when you first launch it.

Good Luck!

Jan 18, 2016 11:39 AM in response to franzkaiser

Try some of my above updated suggested fixes.

If still no real joy, you can try my modified iPad backup/restore procedure above.

Carefully follow its instructions.

Some users claimed to try this, but they did NOT completely follow my modified instructions to the letter.

Those users that DID carefully follow my instructions (over a dozen users, now) have reported that their iPads were performing appreciably better.

Good Luck!

Web browsers randomly crash on iPad2 since the iOS9 updates.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.