Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can't I back up my iPad to PC with iTunes?

When I plug the iPad in with a USB cable to my PC, then start up iTunes, then select the device in the bar at the top, then select Summary under "Settings", then select "This computer",then select "Back Up Now". (see screenshot below)

As far as I can tell, when I do that, nothing happens. As you can see, it continues to state "Your iPad has never been backed up to this computer".

Any suggestions? What am I doing wrong?

Some details: Running iTunes 12.3.0.44 on a Windows 7 PC.

Ipad is an old mini Model MF743LL/A running iOS 9.0.2 (13A452)

Note: I do NOT want to use iCloud. I just want to backup all the data from my iPad to my PC.

Thanks, Duncan

Screenshot:

User uploaded file

iPad Mini, iOS 9.0.2

Posted on Oct 15, 2015 10:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 15, 2015 11:27 AM

Do you have enough free space on the PC? Are there errors in Windows 7 event logs related to iTunes/iPad?

5 replies

Oct 15, 2015 11:27 AM in response to clymbon

The screen shot shows a large amount of 'other' data and no app, music, or photo data. You may need to restore it first but if you have never backed it up, you would lose all of your data. I think you have more problems then just not being able to do a backup. I would restore it then try to sync back any apps, music, or photos.

Oct 17, 2015 11:15 AM in response to clymbon

I am having the same problem but I am not sure about the fix that was mentioned. My iTunes looks the same where the Restore Backup option is greyed out and it says that I have never done a backup (which is incorrect since I do it almost weekly). The fix was noted to be to do a "restore" but there is no restore backup option which would mean that the only restore option is to Restore iPad which says will take me back to factory settings and delete everything but since it says there is no backup, then what am I restoring to? Sorry if this isn't clear but this is an issue with both my iPad and iPhone and I am stuck! Any help would be appreciated.

Why can't I back up my iPad to PC with iTunes?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.