Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

10.11 Printer Proxy permissions problem

Server 5.0.4, Clients 10.11, Networked users, Profile Manager client and user management.

Last night we made a change from 10.10.x clients to 10.11 clients. No other parts of our systems have changed. Our servers were migrated to 5.0.4 a couple of weeks ago.

10.10.x clients, with managed network users in a group with limited application access, printed just fine with no errors or issues.

10.11 clients, with managed network users in a group with limited application access, seem to print fine but each job presents a message which only has the option to be dismissed indicating that the user does not have permission to use the application Printer Proxy.

We do not want to allow general users to have access to the various apps which might allow for inappropriate editing of the system or other settings. However, the only way I have been able to get the message to go away is to turn off the applications restrictions in Profile Manager.

Since the printer proxy app shows up in apps in ~/Library/Printers/ I added that folder to the allowed folder group. The error still shows.

Any suggestions?

-Erich Wetzel

OS X Server

Posted on Oct 15, 2015 11:58 AM

7 replies

Oct 18, 2017 12:42 PM in response to Erich Wetzel

Same problem here.

Printers and Application restrictions are configured with Profile Manager (server 5.2) to multiple Macs running El Capitan and Sierra.

The printers do work, but the error shows up every time the users print.

-Parental controls is not running on any of the lab Macs

-I added ~/Library/Printers to allow folders with no effect.

-Since the accounts are OD accounts and the printers come from Profile Manager, there are no printers in /Library/Printers/Installed_Printers.

Anyone find a solution for OD/Profile Manager management?

Dec 7, 2015 6:44 AM in response to Erich Wetzel

Did you ever make any progress on this? It seems that the Restrictions profile that has allowed folders is not respecting ~/Library/ for network accounts. It allows "apps" to be launched from ~/Library/ for local admin and standard users. It also works if I create a network user who's home path is created on the local mac in the /Users/ folder. It doesn't work for network accounts and mobile accounts, even though the mobile account is stored in the /Users/ folder.

Dec 8, 2015 11:51 AM in response to Erich Wetzel

I made progress on this. I can now print. My account was showing up as Managed in System Preferences->Users and Groups. For some reason Parental Controls was enabled and that was overriding my Restrictions profile that had ~/Library as an allowed folder. I am not sure how Parental Control became enabled, but I am now able to print without seeing the PrintProxy error. It may have been some old hold over with my account from WGM MCX. We still use WGM and MCX for a few things but I am making the full switch to profiles soon.

Dec 7, 2016 2:34 PM in response to olphfromglenview

I was getting a similar issue.

My Environment:

OSX 10.11.6

Local Account with parental controls (Students used this account to type a paper since internet and other resources are restricted)

I used the following script to fix the issue (Please test on a non-production machine. This may not take into account other factors in your environment):

_

#!/bin/sh

rm -rf /Users/testing/Library/Printers

##create symlinks for printers

ln -s /Library/Printers/Installed_Printers /Users/testing/Library/Printers

_

In short it deletes the printers from the account (Ex. "Testing") in the restricted folder. It then creates symlinks to the printers in the root Library folder so the proxy message no longer appears.

10.11 Printer Proxy permissions problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.