Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does the Dridex virus affect Apple software?

The Dridex virus reportedly targets Microsoft's Windows operating systems not Mac OS X. I run the version of Word that works on Macs. Two questions, (a) if I unwittingly open an infected attachment to an e-mail can I truly rely on it not getting into my Mac? and (b) does conventional wisdom still apply in that it's best to avoid ant-virus software?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Oct 15, 2015 2:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 16, 2015 1:31 AM

There are ZERO viruses for OS X!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do not install any antivirus, cleaning or any other third party "maintenance" utilities on your Mac. They are at best a waste of time and in many cases cause more problems than they solve.

If a document does have a virus attached it will not affect OS X or your Mac. However if the file is shared with PC users those users may be affected.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 16, 2015 1:31 AM in response to robin from north yorks

There are ZERO viruses for OS X!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do not install any antivirus, cleaning or any other third party "maintenance" utilities on your Mac. They are at best a waste of time and in many cases cause more problems than they solve.

If a document does have a virus attached it will not affect OS X or your Mac. However if the file is shared with PC users those users may be affected.

Oct 16, 2015 1:58 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Many thanks. For 99% of the time I happily ignore virus scare-stories on the grounds that a cyber criminal is much more likely to apply himself to breaking in via a Microsoft route rather than OS X because it would be an inefficient use of his time to attack what he probably perceives to be the niche market. Not forgetting that Apple-world has forums like this one to turn to for advice. This one caught me on a nervous day when I was digitally transferring money to pay for a holiday. Thanks for the reassurance.

Robin

Oct 16, 2015 1:59 AM in response to lkrupp

Many thanks. For 99% of the time I happily ignore virus scare-stories on the grounds that a cyber criminal is much more likely to apply himself to breaking in via a Microsoft route rather than OS X because it would be an inefficient use of his time to attack what he probably perceives to be the niche market. Not forgetting that Apple-world has forums like this one to turn to for advice. This one caught me on a nervous day when I was digitally transferring money to pay for a holiday. Thanks for the reassurance.

Robin

Nov 28, 2015 1:17 AM in response to rkaufmann87

rkaufmann87: Be careful about sending this kind of message. There are few viruses on OS X, but they do exist. See articles like this:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/can-macs-get-viruses/

The Dridex virus, does appear to be windows only. However, it would be possible for a similar virus to affect OSX. Indeed as articles like the above point out because so many OS X users think they are safe they are generally complacent and thus when a nasty virus for OS X does get out there it will probably spread very quickly.

I had a virus come in to one of my OS X environments through a word document sent to me through, what I believed was, a secure channel. It caused me some problems, although I strongly suspect that it was a virus targeted to a windows office environment and thus did not do too much damage. Nevertheless, I had to use a malware removal tool before I could use MS Office again.

I would suggest that all users (including OS X users) use a malware protection tool (aka virus scanner). Personally I use the Sophos tool which is available free and only does malware protection and does this very well. As you (rkaufmann87) point out, many of the so called "Mac cleaners" are not particularly good. However, I believe that most of the tools from the reputable malware protection companies are good and will not slow down performance too much.

I am considered a computer security expert (at least it is part of my job), I do not work for Sophos.

Does the Dridex virus affect Apple software?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.