Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does text get selected when I type too quickly?

When I try to type quickly sometimes text gets selected (sometimes a word, phrase, or even whole line) and then when I subsequently (before I can react to the selecting) hit a key it overwrites (deleting) whatever is selected and in apps that don't have an undo I end up losing thing that just got overwritten - incredibly frustrating!!! Am I doing something wrong? Is this a setting I can turn off? Is it a bug?

btw, using this text field is proving to be pretty frustrating too (unable to register touch selections without docking keyboard and then going back into entry mode, also stops typing in certain situations) - beginning to wonder if these are bugs left to be worked out...?

iPad (4th gen) Wi-Fi, iOS 9.0.2

Posted on Oct 15, 2015 8:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 18, 2015 6:47 PM

I have read that typing at a sufficient speed causes the iOS to recognise a simultaneous hit by two fingers on the keyboard which is now detected as a request to select/move text. You could be a victim of your own typing speed.

16 replies

Oct 15, 2015 8:51 PM in response to DReeb

You may notice that your keyboard prompts you if you make a misspelling. However, if you type quickly, you might end up ignoring these prompts. This will end up with lots more typos, especially if your accuracy isn't exactly perfect in the first place.

So, you'll want to turn off the iPad's autocorrection features.

To to Settings/General/Auto-Correction, and toggle it off. The toggle will change from green to gray. You might want to check if other keyboard options are what you want.

Oct 15, 2015 9:15 PM in response to poikkeus1

Hi poikkeus1,

Thanks for the response but I'm not seeing how that addresses my issue... Why would auto-correct suggest a spelling for an entire line for example, 10 or more words?

Btw, it's by relying on auto-correct that I'm able to overcome the lack of tactile feedback on the iPad and type faster. Used to work fine before io9...

Thanks again

Oct 15, 2015 9:57 PM in response to DReeb

Thanks for clarifying your problem. I, too, have had to deal with the challenge of trying to tap out things on the iPad's virtual keyboard. As a result of my failures, I no longer use the virtual keyboard except for simple edits. I dictate all text, or use an external bluetooth keyboard. (You can write a book that way - without touching the virtual keyboard.)

But back to your question.

I believe your's is a word processing issue. If you type (or tap) out a passage, you may touch a portion of the iPad's touch screen for whatever reason. Whether you know it or not, touching any part of a touch screen can be a word processing command (whether you know it or not). Once highlighted, the text becomes editable, and it's very easy to delete words - even paragraphs - with a simple tap.

Oct 16, 2015 10:53 AM in response to poikkeus1

Yeah, I too use a Bluetooth keyboard at times, when I have more to type and am in situation that allows for it.

I can see how what you're suggesting might cause problems but I can assure you that I'm not touching anything but the virtual keyboard area of the screen.

In paying more attention to what's happening, I think I've isolated an example of what I'm talking about. Type in a sentence and at any point during the entry of that text type "i" and "n" in VERY quick succession, almost at the same time but not. If you experience what I experience, you'll notice that the previous word gets selected even though it is NOT an auto-correct suggestion and the spelling has nothing to do with the word "in". This may very well be auto-correct kicking in and doing something funky but if so, I'd say a bug. If it's a feature (possible keyboard shortcuts to select certain amounts of text), I definitely want to turn it off! 🙂 There seem other key combinations that do this unwanted selecting too but I haven't been able to identify them yet.

Thanks for the response!

Oct 18, 2015 6:47 PM in response to DReeb

I'm certain this glitch is pretty irritating (almost as irritating as using a virtual keyboard)...but try as I might, I couldn't replicate your problem.

I have Swiftkey, a free virtual keyboard replacement that has added options for suggestive keystrokes, as well as key shortcuts that aren't in iOS. But the basic problem is that the virtual keyboard wasn't designed for fast use; many users are "hunt-and-peck" typists. You might want to try out Swiftkey and see if it works for you.

In any case, my number one suggestion and foolproof solution is to use your iPad's dictation feature. It's about 99% accurate - and no virtual keystrokes!

I found this link very helpful, though maybe not directly applicable to your situation:

http://www.imobie.com/support/how-to-make-the-best-use-of-the-virtual-keyboard.h tm

Oct 18, 2015 6:57 PM in response to poikkeus1

Weird that you were unable to replicate, but thank you so much for trying! And for the helpful tips. I've installed Swiftkey and will be giving that a whirl for sure. I'll also try to remember the dictation feature - it really does seem to work pretty well, but there are so many times when it really wouldn't be appropriate for the environment I find myself in, notably the local university library where I do much of my studying/working.

Oct 20, 2015 2:14 AM in response to DReeb

I Have this same issue and it is driving me ever happened in tech past with other iPads or versions of iOS. So I think it is a bug or a "feature" like this move text as has been raised. If that is the case I should have the option to turn it off.

As I am usually in a meeting I can not use the dictation As suggested and the bulk of me ;-)

i hope there is a solution to this issue.

Oct 20, 2015 1:11 PM in response to BigGalah

Thanks - great to know I'm not alone in having this problem 🙂

Hope there's a solution too but the SwiftKey keyboard does seem to work pretty well - have even started using its one finger swipe-typing function on my iPhone and it actually works fairly well. That said, there is an obvious overhead to the 3rd party keyboard - slow to load and a lag in bringing up the keyboard, and I wonder about the "full access" permission it requires which indicates it has access to and can collect every keystroke you type(!). Once up, works great though.

Nov 29, 2015 4:07 PM in response to DReeb

I, too, a m suffering this quick-typing issue. It is driving me mad. Sometimes I will delete just words, but often sentences will be deleted in a flash. Testimg the two-finger tap on the iPad virtual keyboard now, I see it does in fact select as a feature. And a terrible feature for us who type quickly. Will try to disable it.

Why does text get selected when I type too quickly?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.