Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

sudo: /etc/sudoers is world writable El Capitan

Today I found out that I can not use the sudo on my terminal. I tried to remove something using sudo and I i've got the following error message.

sudo: /etc/sudoers is world writable

sudo: no valid sudoers sources found, quitting

My terminal

Last login: Fri Oct 16 08:51:18 on console

Georges-MacBook-Pro:~ g3o$ sudo rm -rf /Library/Caches/com.apple.iconservices.store

sudo: /etc/sudoers is world writable

sudo: no valid sudoers sources found, quitting

Georges-MacBook-Pro:~ g3o$ ls -lsa /etc/sudoers

0 -rwxrwxrwx 1 root wheel 2299 Aug 23 01:39 /etc/sudoers

Georges-MacBook-Pro:~ g3o$

On a research that I did they are saying to make a reinstall of the OSX, is there any alternative method to fix this issue without reinstalling the OSX?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013), OS X El Capitan (10.11), null

Posted on Oct 15, 2015 11:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 24, 2017 6:22 AM

In all honesty, this problem was easy to fix for me. I went to etc/sudoers, right clicked it, hit Get info, and set it to "System : Read and write" and read only for everyone else. Then I did the same for sudoers.d. That fixed my issue.

11 replies

Oct 16, 2015 12:10 AM in response to giwrgos

I found the following article

http://apple.stackexchange.com/a/98351

I did what it says, is fixing the issue but I'm getting a warning

Georges-MacBook-Pro:~ g3o$ sudo rm -rf /Library/Caches/com.apple.iconservices.store

sudo: /var/db/sudo writable by non-owner (040777), should be mode 0700

WARNING: Improper use of the sudo command could lead to data loss

or the deletion of important system files. Please double-check your

typing when using sudo. Type "man sudo" for more information.

To proceed, enter your password, or type Ctrl-C to abort.

How i can fix it?

Oct 16, 2015 6:09 AM in response to giwrgos

Start with trying

diskutil verifyPermissions /

See if that clears up the problem.

If not, then here are the correct ownership and permissions for the path to that file

drwxr-xr-x 37 root wheel 1326 Oct 14 09:50 /

drwxr-xr-x 6 root wheel 204 Oct 31 2014 /private

drwxr-xr-x 26 root wheel 884 Jun 13 15:42 /private/var

drwxr-xr-x 80 root wheel 2720 Oct 14 11:28 /private/var/db

drwx------ 3 root wheel 102 Nov 5 2014 /private/var/db/sudo

sudo chown root:wheel /private/var/db/sudo

sudo chmod 700 /private/var/db/sudo

Oct 16, 2015 11:33 AM in response to VikingOSX

VikingOSX wrote:

Bob,

In El Capitan, the ability to verify and repair permissions has been removed from diskutil and from Disk Utility. One can only verify/repair volumes now.

I was hoping that they just removed it from the Disk Utility GUI.

At least I provided Terminal commands to set the correct permissions, and it did appear that giwrgos was able to get sudo to work, it just issued some annoying messages.

Oct 17, 2015 3:41 PM in response to giwrgos

You must have wrecked the permissions of every file on the startup volume. If possible, recover from a backup that predates the damage:

OS X El Capitan: Recover your entire system

Otherwise see below.

Back up all data to at least two different storage devices, if you haven't already done so. One backup is not enough to be safe. The backups can be made with Time Machine or with Disk Utility. Preferably both.

Erase and install OS X. This operation will destroy all data on the startup volume, so you had be better be sure of the backups. If you upgraded from an older version of OS X, you'll need the Apple ID and password that you used, so make a note of those before you begin.

When you restart, you'll be prompted to go through the initial setup process. That’s when you transfer the data from a backup.

Select only users in the Setup Assistant dialog—not Applications, Computer & Network Settings, or Other files and folders. Don't transfer the Guest account, if it was enabled.

Then reinstall third-party software.

Aug 22, 2016 3:26 AM in response to giwrgos

You can safely chmod the /etc/sudoers file providing you duplicate it first.

Because sudo won't work until you change the permissions on the file, you'll need to use su to enable root user. Take extreme care as you will be at the root of the drive and NOT your User folder, so check you're in the correct location by using the command pwd first. So, type su and after the prompt, your password where the ~username$ will change to a #

Check the current permissions with ls -l /etc/sudoe* which should now list sudoers & sudoers copy with permissions of -rwxrwxrwx which we now need to change to -r--r----- by using the command chmod 440 /etc/sudoers

Recheck the permissions with the ls -l /etc/sudoe* and you should see the two files with these perms

-r--r----- 1 root wheel 2299

-rwxrwxrwx 1 user wheel 2299

type exit to get out of Super User (the prompt will change from a # to $)

now confirm sudo is working by typing

sudo ls -l /etc/sudoe*

Where you should be prompted for your SuperUser password and the same results as above should be listed.

sudo: /etc/sudoers is world writable El Capitan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.