Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No forward delete on Magic Keyboard?

On my MacBook Pro, holding down the fn key while pressing the delete key performs a forward-delete. That doesn't happen on my Magic Keyboard - it performs a backward delete same as when I don't hold down the fn key.

Apple's "Mac keyboard shortcuts" support document states unequivocally that "Forward delete on keyboards that don't have a Forward Delete key" works by pressing "Fn-Delete". ("Or use Control-D", which does work on my Magic Keyboard.) Are others seeing this? Is there a way to turn Fn-delete on?

Mac Pro (Late 2013), OS X El Capitan (10.11), and MacBook Pro (Late 2013)

Posted on Oct 16, 2015 2:48 AM

3 replies

Oct 16, 2015 3:17 AM in response to Bill Cheeseman

Bill Cheeseman wrote:

On my MacBook Pro, holding down the fn key while pressing the delete key performs a forward-delete. That doesn't happen on my Magic Keyboard - it performs a backward delete same as when I don't hold down the fn key.

Ah. Fn-Delete for forward delete does work on the Magic Keyboard when it is plugged into a USB port (on the back of one of my monitors, in this case). It only fails when the keyboard is unplugged -- same as multifinger gestures failing on Magic Trackpad 2 when it is unplugged. So, Apple has still more work to do.

Nov 26, 2015 6:14 PM in response to Bill Cheeseman

Hi all,

I have a brand new Magic Keyboard, and the same problem: Fn + Delete does not do a "forward delete".

However, Bill's fix doesn't work for me: I have this problem whether or not the keyboard is plugged into the USB. I use forward delete all the time, so it's annoying. Control + D works on this webpage and some of my coding programs, but doesn't work in Word!

Any ideas on a fix?

Cheers!

No forward delete on Magic Keyboard?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.