Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

is it worth the cost for cellular on the ipad

Is it worth the cost to add cellular to ipad

Posted on Oct 16, 2015 8:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 16, 2015 8:33 AM

It is if you're going to need a connection to the internet when Wi-Fi is not available.

http://www.iphonehacks.com/2013/10/cellular-wifi-ipad-model-buy.html

6 replies

Oct 16, 2015 8:36 AM in response to boatergirl

That is a decision that only you can make. I have owned three WiFi only iPads and I have never really missed having the cellular capability. Virtually, everywhere that I go, I can find a WiFi network to use. I also have a Verizon JetPak Hotspot and an iPhone and I think that I have used those devices for an Internet connection only a handful of times In almost five years.

Some people do not have high speed internet and do not have WiFi so cellular makes sense for them. Somepeople are glued to their iPads and can not live without them, taking them to theaters, amusement parks and the like. If you are that junked out on a device, you might want to consider a cellular iPad so that you can always be connected.

Oct 16, 2015 9:38 AM in response to boatergirl

In my personal opinion and in my usage, no. I've always purchased Wi-Fi only models (with the exception of an iPad 3 with cellular which I never even activated).

For myself, Wi-Fi is enough. If I need to access the internet on my iPads (we have a total of 4), We just tether (free with Verizon Shared plans) to our iPhone 5s' using Personal Hotspot. I already have an iPhone with me so I just tend to use that instead of the iPad if need be. Most of the time, there is only one iPad with us (our kid playing games on it in the car) when we are out and about and I have seldom used that even with Personal Hotspot.

If you NEED internet wherever you are and don't have an iPhone (or something you can tether to) or Wi-Fi Hotspots are few in your area, then you need a cellular model.

is it worth the cost for cellular on the ipad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.