Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Magic Keyboard's native function keys not working?

The function keys (brightness, volume, etc) aren't functioning as expected. They're being recognized as F1, F2, etc key presses.

There's no option in System Preferences to enable or disable this: http://i.imgur.com/ctSoEVe.png

I'm running OS X 10.11, and have tried pairing the keyboard to two 10.11 Mac's with the same result.

Magic Keyboard-OTHER, OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Oct 16, 2015 10:12 AM

31 replies

Aug 20, 2017 3:30 AM in response to CL123456

Running OSx 10.11.6

Default function keys are not as indicated by the symbols on the keyboard.

Have managed via settings to correct F1,F2,F3,F4. But cannot see how to do the F7-F12 keys (which relate to volume and playback).

Has anyone fixed these settings?

Come on Apple - maybe I have been lulled into a case sense of security - but I am used to out of the box functionality.

Nov 28, 2017 2:29 AM in response to shahruz

I'm using MBP mid 2010, El Capitan. Just got my new wireless keyboard today and the function keys are messed up 😟 I'm so disappointed. The play and pause, sound control, display brightness all not working. The mission control short cut does work oddly. Even my old cheap wireless keyboard have those function short cuts working. This is a real big disappointment 😟😟😟😟😟

Dec 13, 2017 11:22 PM in response to shahruz

Media keys not working for me either. 2014 MacBook Pro. El Capitan 10.11.6.

Really I wanted the apple wired keyboard, but since no longer available I went for the forced upgrade.

Was pretty excited to open the box and hook up. When I connect my fancy new Magic Keyboard, Keyboard Setup Assistant does not recognize it, but does offer to set it up as JIS (Japanese). That however does not help.

Then, in total amazement, I discover my most desired keys, the Volume UP and DOWN do not work. Although the Volume UP key does activate "Show Desktop" from Mission Control.

None of the other function keys work. Play, pause, Mission Control, Brightness, none of them actually do anything. Although Keyboard Viewer does show them as taking input but I guess it is going nowhere.99

In Apple's defense, the box does say (in micro lettering) requires OS X 10.12.4. In my defense, come on, this is is a keyboard. IT SHOULD JUST WORK.

Oct 20, 2015 8:08 AM in response to shahruz

I'm having the same issue, except when the Lighting cable is plugged in, and then my brand new "wireless" keyboard functions normally. Also at that time the choice to allow the function keys to work normally reappears in the preferences.

I went through and reset all the keys "default" in the keyboard preferences, and managed to force F1 through F4 to work as expected by telling the Mission Control preferences what keys did what, but F7 through F12 (iTunes and volume controls) still don't work.

I have unpaired and re-paired the keyboard several times.

This issue did not happen with my old Apple Bluetooth keyboard.

Magic Keyboard, OS X 10.11, iMac 27" 2011

Oct 24, 2015 4:13 AM in response to Paul Findsen

Hey Paul,

yeah i've kinda run into the same situation. Bought a Magic Mouse 2 and a Magic Keyboard for my mid-2011 iMac. First thing the mouse did was crashing the hole system (kernel panic/ BSOD) and ran into a bootloop until i disconnected the whole mouse. The Keyboard seems to work, but here i ran into the same thing, that the media keys only function properly if i connect via Lightning Cable. As soon as i disconnect, the keys F11 and F12 turn into Exposé Mode. It's a pain in the ***.

My GF went into the Apple Store here in Hamburg like half an hour ago and the guy only said "yeah, but the mouse works fine on my imac. how old is yours?" - "2011, so four years" - "yeah, that's pretty old. nothing i can do right now except switch the mouse for a new one". Thx Apple.

Now it try to fiddle around with USB overdrive, but this can't be it. I hope apple is fixing this asap.

Oct 29, 2015 10:38 AM in response to athanassiadis

Same issue here. Brand new MBA which clearly has bluetooth 4.0.

Something is wonky with the software on the Magic Keyboard 2. Really annoying that I can't use my normal keyboard flow. I've found that the function key doesn't work either so backspace/delete is weird as well.

Blah.

Back to the old one until this is fixed. I write too much and this is too annoying to deal with workarounds.

Magic Keyboard's native function keys not working?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.