Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wifi Drops During Sleep

In both Yosemite and El Capitan wifi drops when my MacBook Pro sleeps. It does not reconnect when computer is awakened. Any ideas how to fix this annoying glitch?

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11), Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5,

Posted on Oct 16, 2015 12:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 10, 2016 10:21 AM

I experienced the same issue on El Capitan/MBP Retina 2015, IPv4 connectivity lost after wake up from sleep. Turns out just leaving the machine idle *also* causes IPv4 to drop the Wifi connection after a few hours (in both scenarios, self-assigns a 169.x.x.x address). Only work-around was to disable/enable Wifi. Adjusting DNS, MTU size, etc. as it is written in many posts online did not permanently resolve the issue. Changing the energy settings also made no difference. Opened a ticket and Apple Support helped me narrow it down to the (apparently not-so-well-working) interoperability between El Capitan and my ISP's router (combo cable modem + Wifi router).

The solution was to set the ISP router (Arris) to bridge mode, and connect a NetGear Wifi-only router to the ISP router. Quite certain that the ISP router is the culprit since I did not change the TCP/IP setup in El Capitan (had configured NetGear to same SSID/WPA2 settings as used before with ISP router) and Mac OS connected without a hitch after rebooting both routers.

Was led to believe that there may be a known issue relating to the Arris firmware that causes El Capitan to drop Wifi. Since I started using the NetGear router about a week ago, El Capitan has not dropped Wifi, not after wake-up from sleep, and not after being left idle for a few hours. I will monitor the situation for a few more days, but this solution has so far worked for me.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 10, 2016 10:21 AM in response to Mark2006

I experienced the same issue on El Capitan/MBP Retina 2015, IPv4 connectivity lost after wake up from sleep. Turns out just leaving the machine idle *also* causes IPv4 to drop the Wifi connection after a few hours (in both scenarios, self-assigns a 169.x.x.x address). Only work-around was to disable/enable Wifi. Adjusting DNS, MTU size, etc. as it is written in many posts online did not permanently resolve the issue. Changing the energy settings also made no difference. Opened a ticket and Apple Support helped me narrow it down to the (apparently not-so-well-working) interoperability between El Capitan and my ISP's router (combo cable modem + Wifi router).

The solution was to set the ISP router (Arris) to bridge mode, and connect a NetGear Wifi-only router to the ISP router. Quite certain that the ISP router is the culprit since I did not change the TCP/IP setup in El Capitan (had configured NetGear to same SSID/WPA2 settings as used before with ISP router) and Mac OS connected without a hitch after rebooting both routers.

Was led to believe that there may be a known issue relating to the Arris firmware that causes El Capitan to drop Wifi. Since I started using the NetGear router about a week ago, El Capitan has not dropped Wifi, not after wake-up from sleep, and not after being left idle for a few hours. I will monitor the situation for a few more days, but this solution has so far worked for me.

Wifi Drops During Sleep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.