Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I change the language used by Spotlight to show Definitions?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-Inch, Mid 2014)

OS X 10.11

Dictionary App version 2.2.1 (177)

When I look for a word using Spotlight the "Definition" section is showing results in Spanish rather than English. (image 1)

I've already checked and for the Dictionary App preferences, the only 2 selected sources are (image 2):

1. New Oxford American Dictionary
  2. Oxford American Writer's Thesaurus

Also on System Preferences --> Language & Region, my Region is set to "United States" and the only Preferred Language is "English". (image 3)

Can anyone think of a possible fix? I don't really know where else to look.

Thanks!

Image 1

User uploaded file

Image 2

User uploaded file

Image 3

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11), Dictionary App version 2.2.1 (177)

Posted on Oct 16, 2015 4:45 PM

13 replies

Oct 16, 2015 5:14 PM in response to cbp1

You appear to have all your settings correct.

You could try turning off your Spotlight Location Services to see if that is the reason why you are getting these results.

System Preferences > Security & Privacy - Privacy Pane

Under Location Services - System Services - Details, and uncheck Safari and Spotlight Suggestions.

I can't imagine why this setting should have any effect on you Dictionary setting, unless your location is close a Spanish speaking location.

Out of interest, if you look-up a work in Safari with the three-finger tap, what definitions are displayed there?

Jul 9, 2016 9:36 AM in response to cbp1

I've been having this issue (in French) and I've been looking around for a solution for quite a while. The spotlight dictionary will change depending on the language of your keyboard (mine is set to Canadian French). Switching to U.S. will only show the definitions in English. Bit annoying, but at least I found out why it's been doing this.

Sep 4, 2016 4:31 AM in response to cbp1

Same problem. I've installed additional Russian-English dictionaries, but they do not appear in the spotlight search. I've even tried to remove all other dictionaries except these ones, but in such case Spotlight simply stop showing definitions. What I would like to achieve eventually is to enable Apple dictionary, my English-Russian dictionaries and Wikipedia, but it seem simply not possible at the moment. Dictionary configuration does not influence Spotlight behavior (

How do I change the language used by Spotlight to show Definitions?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.