Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems exporting images from photo

Ever since changing to Photo I've had problems exporting images to document files (so I can use them for different purposes and find it easier from my hard drive). The main error message I get is that an internet connection is required. Except I'm already connected to the internet so that shouldn't be a problem. I never had these problems with iphoto. Is this a problem with my computer or a wider problem, and does anyone know how to fix it? (I have a newish macbook air)

Thanks!

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Oct 17, 2015 12:41 AM

7 replies

Oct 17, 2015 12:55 AM in response to brinty9

Are your photos in iCloud Photo Library? Do you need the internet to access your photos in iCloud, or are you trying to export to a remote location?

If the destination flder is the problem, use the work-around to export from Photos to a folder on your Desktop with "file > Export", and then move the photos from that folde rto the final destination folder.

Oct 17, 2015 1:14 AM in response to léonie

Thanks for the reply! Yes I think it is in icloud photo - which I'm not sure why as they were always locally on my mac. And the work around is what I do and is when I get the error message "internet connection needed....". How do I therefore not store my photo in icloud as this sounds like it might be the thing causing the problem.

Oct 17, 2015 1:41 AM in response to brinty9

Check the preferences in Photos (from the Photos menu). Is iCloud Photo Library enabled in the iCloud tab of the Photos preferences, like this?

User uploaded file

In that case your original image files will be in iCloud.

See this Help page on how to stop using iCloud Photo Library: https://help.apple.com/photos/mac/1.0/?lang=en#/phtf5e48489c

Stop using iCloud Photo Library

Important: If you decide to turn off iCloud Photo Library, first be sure to select “Download Originals to this Mac” in the iCloud pane of Photos preferences, so all your original photos can be downloaded from iCloud to your Mac. Be sure to allow time for your originals to download before turning off iCloud Photo Library completely.

• Choose Photos > Preferences, then click iCloud.User uploaded file
  • Deselect the iCloud Photo Library checkbox to turn it off.

After you turn off iCloud Photo Library, the Photos app on your Mac can’t access your iCloud library, and any edits you make to photos on your Mac won’t appear on your other devices. Your library remains in iCloud and available to other devices that use iCloud Photo Library. To turn off iCloud Photo Library on all your devices, open the iCloud pane of System Preferences, click the Manage button, then click Photo Library. Click “Disable and delete.” Your photos and videos will be deleted from iCloud Photo Library in 30 days, unless you click Undo Delete before that time.

Oct 25, 2016 5:31 AM in response to léonie

I'm having the same issue - I have my Originals on my mac and in the Cloud and am attempting to share an album, it says internet connection required. I have a connection that works just fine (I'm posting this). So the only way I can share an album is to turn off my iCloud Photo Library across my devices? Doesn't seem to make much sense, heavy setting change to just share some photos, seems like more of a bug. If you have any suggestions please let me know. If it continues will turn it off and use another service outside Apple. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Oct 25, 2016 6:18 AM in response to ARBRX

I have a connection that works just fine (I'm posting this). So the only way I can share an album is to turn off my iCloud Photo Library across my devices?

No, you can share photos using shared albums with iCloud Photo Library enabled.

it says internet connection required.

You may besting such an error if the internet is occasionally having drop-outs - some applications will have time-out errors, others not.

There may be also a firewall or antivirus software interfering. Are you using a firewall?

Problems exporting images from photo

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.