Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Some columns missing in Activity Monitor

Hello Apple Friends and Users:

I was trying to fix a problem related to sleep mode and tried to use Activity Monitor to identify which apps may cause problems. For some reason the column "Preventing Sleep" is gone in Activity Monitor (OS X 10.10.5 on an Early 2008 24" iMac). I cannot find it anymore. I am also missing the "Avg Energy Impact" column, but not as much.

Does anybody have an idea what is happening?

Thanks,

Hal.

Posted on Oct 17, 2015 12:44 PM

8 replies

Oct 17, 2015 12:58 PM in response to Hinrich Althoff

At the risk of an obvious question, you are looking at the Energy section of Activity Monitor, correct? "Average Energy Impact" is there, unless the columns have been re-selected — control-click on the column header to re-select the headers you want viewable. There's an "App Nap" column there which might be interesting to you, and the column that shows as "Preventing Sleep" is hidden in the column browser as "Power Assertion".

Oct 17, 2015 1:49 PM in response to MrHoffman

Thank you MrHoffman. I tried this, but the options to select "Average Energy Impact", "Power Assertion" or "Preventing Sleep" are simply not there. "App Nap" shows in the list as well as "Energy Impact" and several others. There is no difference in the columns offered whether I control-click the column header or go via menu View | Columns.

Oct 17, 2015 2:33 PM in response to Hinrich Althoff

Okay. I'd then try a different and newly-minted and temporary user login on your Mac and see if that demonstrates similar misbehaviour. If it does not, then that implies something odd lurking in your local preferences; something in your login. If it does show similar misbehaviour, then I'd see if a reboot clears this, and would then try the usual recovery-partition disk repair, reinstall the 10.10.5 combo update, then reinstall OS X.

My tests were with OS X 10.10.5, for completeness.

Mar 17, 2016 6:38 PM in response to MrHoffman

Hi, I have the same problem as OP, only my Activity Monitor is still not showing Preventing Sleep as a column to select. I am on a MacBook Pro, Version 10.9.4. I do not have the columns available to select on a Guest account, either.

I am attaching a screenshot so you can see what my options are. Do you have any suggestions on how to see if an application is preventing sleep? Thank you.

User uploaded file

Mar 18, 2016 5:54 PM in response to MacGirl106

From what I can tell of it, you're running a version of OS X that's too old for that column. 10.9.5 is "current" in that release series, but that release doesn't have that "Power Assertion" column available. If you need this and if your Mac supports it and if your other software permits it, back up your disk once or twice to external storage (so that you have a recovery path, if something fails), and then upgrade OS X. OS X 10.11 is current.

Some columns missing in Activity Monitor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.