Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

accidentally made entire hd os x base system

I had some problems with El Capitan on my iMac to the point of it becoming unusable, where it was fine before the updated. Attempted a clean install, but in the midst of reformatting my hard drive, I seem to have made the entire thing the OS X Base System drive. Now I can't reinstall El Capitan because the hard drive is locked. I can't partition the drive in order to fix it either. It keeps telling me to "enable journaling" but is not actually giving me the option to do so.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Posted on Oct 17, 2015 4:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 7, 2017 10:54 AM

I found a solution....but the chosen "answer" to this question is broadly described and gets you no where, so needless to say this has been driving me insane (Kappy's passive-aggressive follow up comment didn't exactly make me happy either....so on top of being wrong this person is also not keen on life in general).

Here's EXACTLY what I did, whether the most direct solution or not:

1. Hooked the Mac to an Ethernet connection (wifi will work fine as well)

2. Started in internet recovery (held down Command + Option + R) after hearing the chime

3. Let it do its thing (if you don't have Ethernet plugged in its going to prompt you for wifi creds)

4. When the recovery screen finally came on, I selected "reinstall Mac OS X"

5. Clicked through the junk written by lawyers

6. Brick wall....could not install on the single partition because it was locked/etc etc.

7. Went up to the file menu and quit the installer

8. We're back to the main recovery screen.

9. Open disk utility

10. Now I have something different: the main, locked hard drive and an ejectable disk with the same OS X Base System name (hope has been briefly restored, but vicious skepticism remains very high)

11. I select the very TOP item (the main disk, not the sub, which for me was a Toshiba something or other) and clicked "partition"

12. I changed the name to "Macintosh HD" (Put whatever you want here. Doesn't matter).

13. Change the vol. to journaled, and I did not choose the encrypted option because I was so screwed already the last thing I needed was to create myself more headaches....without this you're back to square 1

14. Partitioned it (don't worry, it won't bite....remember, you're already at rock bottom so it can't get any worse).

15. Quit disk utility

16. Go back and select "reinstall Mac OS X"

17. Junk by lawyers...click click click

18. Oh what's this? I can install on this disk now? Fantastic!

19. Run that baby

20. Voila......now you can freely look at cat / video game gifs, or reply to incorrect, passive aggressive comments on the Apple discussion boards. The choice is yours.

As for any other issues, I don't know. It works. Do I sound like an expert?

I hope it works for you. Enjoy.

31 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 7, 2017 10:54 AM in response to Sara Griffin

I found a solution....but the chosen "answer" to this question is broadly described and gets you no where, so needless to say this has been driving me insane (Kappy's passive-aggressive follow up comment didn't exactly make me happy either....so on top of being wrong this person is also not keen on life in general).

Here's EXACTLY what I did, whether the most direct solution or not:

1. Hooked the Mac to an Ethernet connection (wifi will work fine as well)

2. Started in internet recovery (held down Command + Option + R) after hearing the chime

3. Let it do its thing (if you don't have Ethernet plugged in its going to prompt you for wifi creds)

4. When the recovery screen finally came on, I selected "reinstall Mac OS X"

5. Clicked through the junk written by lawyers

6. Brick wall....could not install on the single partition because it was locked/etc etc.

7. Went up to the file menu and quit the installer

8. We're back to the main recovery screen.

9. Open disk utility

10. Now I have something different: the main, locked hard drive and an ejectable disk with the same OS X Base System name (hope has been briefly restored, but vicious skepticism remains very high)

11. I select the very TOP item (the main disk, not the sub, which for me was a Toshiba something or other) and clicked "partition"

12. I changed the name to "Macintosh HD" (Put whatever you want here. Doesn't matter).

13. Change the vol. to journaled, and I did not choose the encrypted option because I was so screwed already the last thing I needed was to create myself more headaches....without this you're back to square 1

14. Partitioned it (don't worry, it won't bite....remember, you're already at rock bottom so it can't get any worse).

15. Quit disk utility

16. Go back and select "reinstall Mac OS X"

17. Junk by lawyers...click click click

18. Oh what's this? I can install on this disk now? Fantastic!

19. Run that baby

20. Voila......now you can freely look at cat / video game gifs, or reply to incorrect, passive aggressive comments on the Apple discussion boards. The choice is yours.

As for any other issues, I don't know. It works. Do I sound like an expert?

I hope it works for you. Enjoy.

Nov 18, 2017 10:57 AM in response to Kappy

User uploaded file

how do i fox that now? erased everything without having any chance to recover.

reinstalling OS Sierra gives me "this disk is locked" problem.

Also tried Internet Recovery (cmd+option+R), but ended up with -2003F error. Used both wireless and ethernet. multiple times = same result.

I don't know how to set up the OS Sierra, please help me.

Jul 1, 2017 7:02 PM in response to microcn

I used following steps as suggested by Sara,

"Plug your Time Machine backup disk to your computer and boot your computer with the option key held in. Besides your HD and Time Machine backup you should see an additional Recovery disk option. Select the Recovery disk. In this mode the OSX Base System drive was no longer ‘locked’ and I could use my Time Machine backup to restore it."

It helped. This helped my recovery of Macintosh HD. this was followed by recovery through time machine.

Thank you.

🙂😍

Oct 11, 2017 10:28 PM in response to Sara Griffin

I hadn't the same problem, but none of these solutions worked. I finally solved it by booting into recovery mode and then opening the terminal feature and changing the date (date 1011102717). When I exited the terminal, I went to disk utility and was finally able to enable journaling. From there, I was finally able to create a new partition and then install OS X!

Jan 4, 2018 3:22 AM in response to Kappy

Hello Kappy, I have the same problem, i tried to follow your instruction, but neither i can create partation, nor erase nor nothing since the tab are inactive. when i try to re-install OS, it shows OSX base system only. and when i select it it says operation couldn't be completed. permission denied. Please help me out,

Oct 17, 2015 7:54 PM in response to Sara Griffin

Install OS X Using Network Recovery

Be sure you have backed up your files because the following procedure will remove everything from the hard drive.

Boot to the Network Recovery Server:

Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND-OPTION- R keys until a globe appears on the screen. Wait patiently - 15-20 minutes - until the Recovery main menu appears.

Partition and Format the hard drive:

1. Select Disk Utility from the main menu and click on the Continue button.
  2. After DU loads select your newly installed hard drive (this is the out-dented entry with the mfgr.'s ID and size) from the left side list. Click on the Partition tab in the DU main window.
  3. Under the Volume Scheme heading set the number of partitions from the drop down menu to one. Click on the Options button, set the partition scheme to GUID then click on the OK button. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Click on the Apply button and wait until the process has completed. Quit DU and return to the main menu.

Reinstall OS X: Select Reinstall OS X and click on the Continue button. Be sure to select the correct drive to use if you have more than one.

Note: You will need an active Internet connection. I suggest using Ethernet if possible because it is three times faster than wireless.

This should restore the version of OS X originally pre-installed on the computer.

accidentally made entire hd os x base system

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.